"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-24-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How long does beef last until it spoils?

i've had some beef in my freezer for quite a while now, has ice all over it and has been in there for months. is it okay for me to thaw it out and still eat it? or is it spoiled by now?

Old 01-24-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Everymom

Are you talking 6 months or 60 months? Either way, its probably alright, but not going to be as tasty as it would have been a while ago. Do it in a soup,stew or pot roast or something slow cooked and you should be okay.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:53 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Are you talking 6 months or 60 months? Either way, its probably alright, but not going to be as tasty as it would have been a while ago. Do it in a soup,stew or pot roast or something slow cooked and you should be okay.

ummmm i have no idea..... i would say 12 months? lol. its hamburger meat. is it okay if cook it on the foreman grill?
Old 01-24-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
Everymom

Sure, like I mentioned, it probably won't be as tasty as before, but it will be OK. I think I would make it into spaghetti sauce or chili or something instead of making burgers with it.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Sure, like I mentioned, it probably won't be as tasty as before, but it will be OK. I think I would make it into spaghetti sauce or chili or something instead of making burgers with it.
well im home alone with barely anything to eat and im not that big of a cook (just 17) and i was just searching the freezer for some food and found it....i think if i tryed to make spaghetti on my own i would burn the house down.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
Everymom

Trust me, its easy. Have you got any tomato sauce? Either jarred or just plain stuff in a can? Just brown your beef in a pot on medium, add the sauce (and some spices if you don't have jarred sauce). Then, boil some water and do the noodles.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Trust me, its easy. Have you got any tomato sauce? Either jarred or just plain stuff in a can? Just brown your beef in a pot on medium, add the sauce (and some spices if you don't have jarred sauce). Then, boil some water and do the noodles.
i've got a big jar of prego and alot of tomato paste.
do i have to use olive oil at the bottom of the pot when i brown the beef?
sorry for the newbie questions im kind of new to this
Old 01-24-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
Everymom

Is it lean beef or regular? If regular, then no oil. Lean might need a bit. Thaw it in the microwave a bit first. When it is all brown toss in the prego. Don't worry about the tomato paste.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Is it lean beef or regular? If regular, then no oil. Lean might need a bit. Thaw it in the microwave a bit first. When it is all brown toss in the prego. Don't worry about the tomato paste.
okay, how long do you think i should thaw it in the microwave?
Old 01-24-2006, 03:11 PM   #10
Everymom

Um...on defrost for about 5 minutes or on high for one. Be warned though, if you do it on high it starts to cook a bit. Some folks don't like that much.

You might have an Auto Defrost function on there, check for that. It works the best.