How long does beef last until it spoils?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fightingfury88

Assistant Cook
i've had some beef in my freezer for quite a while now, has ice all over it and has been in there for months. is it okay for me to thaw it out and still eat it? or is it spoiled by now?

Are you talking 6 months or 60 months? Either way, its probably alright, but not going to be as tasty as it would have been a while ago. Do it in a soup,stew or pot roast or something slow cooked and you should be okay.

Alix said:
Are you talking 6 months or 60 months? Either way, its probably alright, but not going to be as tasty as it would have been a while ago. Do it in a soup,stew or pot roast or something slow cooked and you should be okay.

ummmm i have no idea..... i would say 12 months? lol. its hamburger meat. is it okay if cook it on the foreman grill?

Sure, like I mentioned, it probably won't be as tasty as before, but it will be OK. I think I would make it into spaghetti sauce or chili or something instead of making burgers with it.

Alix said:
Sure, like I mentioned, it probably won't be as tasty as before, but it will be OK. I think I would make it into spaghetti sauce or chili or something instead of making burgers with it.
well im home alone with barely anything to eat and im not that big of a cook (just 17) and i was just searching the freezer for some food and found it....i think if i tryed to make spaghetti on my own i would burn the house down.

Trust me, its easy. Have you got any tomato sauce? Either jarred or just plain stuff in a can? Just brown your beef in a pot on medium, add the sauce (and some spices if you don't have jarred sauce). Then, boil some water and do the noodles.

Alix said:
Trust me, its easy. Have you got any tomato sauce? Either jarred or just plain stuff in a can? Just brown your beef in a pot on medium, add the sauce (and some spices if you don't have jarred sauce). Then, boil some water and do the noodles.
i've got a big jar of prego and alot of tomato paste.
do i have to use olive oil at the bottom of the pot when i brown the beef?
sorry for the newbie questions im kind of new to this

Is it lean beef or regular? If regular, then no oil. Lean might need a bit. Thaw it in the microwave a bit first. When it is all brown toss in the prego. Don't worry about the tomato paste.

Alix said:
Is it lean beef or regular? If regular, then no oil. Lean might need a bit. Thaw it in the microwave a bit first. When it is all brown toss in the prego. Don't worry about the tomato paste.
okay, how long do you think i should thaw it in the microwave?

Um...on defrost for about 5 minutes or on high for one. Be warned though, if you do it on high it starts to cook a bit. Some folks don't like that much.

You might have an Auto Defrost function on there, check for that. It works the best.

Alix said:
Um...on defrost for about 5 minutes or on high for one. Be warned though, if you do it on high it starts to cook a bit. Some folks don't like that much.

You might have an Auto Defrost function on there, check for that. It works the best.
nope. no defrost. i'll just pop it in for a minute then
ill be back later and tell you how it came out, thanks alot.

I think I’ve told this story already, but let me repeat it anyway. I was in the Soviet Army from 1979 till 1981. The standard army (I believe any army) practice is that you use the stored supplies and replenish them with the new, fresh products, meat included. Well, so was the practice then anyway. Meat came on the base as a whole cow stamped with a date when it was frozen. Guess what date that was. You’ll never guess. Okay, I’ll add the best supplies went to elite battalions, the ones that did real rigorous training; I was in Engineering battalion, so no real fighting or even training. Did not even see the gun, did a lot of shoveling though. Anyway, back to meat. Have you guessed the year yet? I’m going to post an answer a bit latter, see if anybody will guess, in the mean time I want to tell you just one thing, your beef is fine.

LMAO! Charlie that is hilarious! OK, now I will share one with you. My Mom has a 30 cubic foot freezer that she has owned for roughly 50 years. They moved here about 35 years ago and I know for sure it was cleaned out THEN. I have been trying to get her to clean everything out of it and toss it out for ages. In the process of "using up" all the stuff in there I found a chicken that looked like it had been cryogenically frozen it was so solid. The label on it was from a store that closed in the 80's. HOWEVER...I happen to know their food floor closed MUCH earlier than that, in the 70's. We thawed it and stewed it, it was fine. LOL. What the heck, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger right?

i guess i didnt thaw it long enough because when i started browning it, i had to use a knife to break the beef apart. also some liquid (probably the water stilli n the beef) formed at the bottom of the pot but i drained it out. im just about to add the sauce now....

also how long is it supposed to take (normally, not when frozen) to brown beef on a medium heat?

Back
Top Bottom