"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-04-2005, 12:53 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

I know this is a late reply to the topic but I have been out of commision for a while. I am very serious about the use of products according to their use by dates, but I have to tell you that I have on MORE THAN ONE occassion forgotten a carton of buttermilk at the back of the fridge and pulled it out in a pinch for pancakes or biscuits or cakes and have never had a problem. I am talking very serious over the limit usage by like a month! I figure "what the hell" it is cultured (not fresh like in the good old days) so it must be like cheese. right? Since I am baking with it and GB if you are using it to fry with, then those temps would kill off any harmful bacteria to begin with! Food paranoia is best left to the beef industry as a whole and don't let me get started on "Supermarket" beef! I.E. "Don't eat it!!!!!!!!!"

Old 01-04-2005, 12:55 PM   #12
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootstl
I know this is a late reply to the topic but I have been out of commision for a while. I am very serious about the use of products according to their use by dates, but I have to tell you that I have on MORE THAN ONE occassion forgotten a carton of buttermilk at the back of the fridge and pulled it out in a pinch for pancakes or biscuits or cakes and have never had a problem. I am talking very serious over the limit usage by like a month! I figure "what the heck" it is cultured (not fresh like in the good old days) so it must be like cheese. right? Since I am baking with it and GB if you are using it to fry with, then those temps would kill off any harmful bacteria to begin with! Food paranoia is best left to the beef industry as a whole and don't let me get started on "Supermarket" beef! I.E. "Don't eat it!!!!!!!!!"
I have also had similar experience with buttermilk, tootstl. It lasts well beyond the buy by date. I also agree, if you are cooking with it, it is safe, I have used it and I am still alive and well. I just would not use the old stuff in my ranch dressing.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:58 PM   #13
Master Chef

I have a carton of buttermilk in the fridge that's unopened but expired about a week ago. I only need 1/4 for baking tonight. So you guys think that's safe?

After a bad experience drinking bad milk once, things things make me so nervous!
Old 01-04-2005, 12:59 PM   #14
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
I have a carton of buttermilk in the fridge that's unopened but expired about a week ago. I only need 1/4 for baking tonight. So you guys think that's safe?

After a bad experience drinking bad milk once, things things make me so nervous!
I would use it for cooking unless it has a horribly unbearable odor, like sour milk. Buttermilk does have an aroma anyway, gut not an odor.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:10 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Be sure to shake it up well before you open it - it will 'settle' to the bottom. But should be fine, as others have said, especially for cooking.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:20 PM   #16
Master Chef

There are many examples of this, but I suppose it is a wonder that those of us over 40 aren't dead. My mom ALWAYS used to yell out, "Milk is SOUR!!! Pancakes tomorrow!!!" She never threw it away. Sour milk was a cause for celebration for us, it meant pancakes. I supposed she'd be prosecuted for child abuse today, but everyone in our family did the same, and none ever good food poisoning from it (and it's a huge family, and my sisters, cousins and I all do the same).
Old 03-26-2005, 01:28 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

the other day i was jonesin' for chocolate milk, and saw a carton of silk brand chocolate soy milk in the back of the fridge. i downed the remainder (from the carton, shhhh). as i was throwing it away, i noticed it had and expiration date of january 15th. i really hope that was jan 2005, now that i think about it. but i suffered no ill effects.