How long does homemade chicken broth stay good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

james786

Assistant Cook
I made some chicken broth on Sunday night and put it in the fridge, would it still be okay to use Wednesday night? I want to use it in a recipe that I am cooking in my slow cooker. I meant to freeze it but forgot to.

Not worth it.

Do you mean last sunday?If so throw it away.If you just made it tonight you should be allright if you skim the fat and then freeze it asap.I am a somewhat uninformed food safety nut.I allways land on the side of common sense.My ideas may not be allways be right but I am the only person I have ever given the gift of food poisioning to .If you have any doubt throw it away.

Homemade broth would be good for the three days from Sunday to Wednesday. It will last forever in the freezer. Bring it to a boil for 2-3 minutes before using it in a recipe.

also, for a week or two, you could just bring it to a boil every 3 days or so and it should be ok.

if you've made a lot, you can simmer it until it's a gelatin. most winters, i make a huge stock pot of chicken stock, reduce it to just a few cups, pour into a tupperware and, after it sets, remove, cut into cubes and toss into freezer. an excellent boullion without salt. use in soups, sauces.

;)

Back
Top Bottom