How long does it take for you to make Risotto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i was watchn "chopped" a week or so ago and one guy knew how to make risotto . i believe he had 30-40 minutes for challenge.
judges remarked "think hell have enough time ?"
the cook tasted it and said to him self "yes good,done"

every judge was like how could you serve us undercooked risotto ?

I think the type of pot the size of the pot and your heat source all are variables that can effect timing. That being said I don't do it in an open pot any more. Pressure cooker 6 minutes under pressure and that is it. Bunch of risotto recipes in Cooking Under Pressure by Lorna J. Sass. My favorite to do is Risotto with gruyere and parmesan page 211.

I have never used a pressure cooker for anything (I think I am afraid of them or something LOL). But I really couldn't see myself using one for risotto. I am in agreement that when it is done, it is done and for me that is when the rice is nice and creamy - not mushy, but definitely not hard. This process, from sauteing usually takes me 35 to 40 minutes. I have been doing this since I was taught both at school and by a friend who lived in Italy for 11 years and makes the best risotto I have ever tasted!

I am not trying to start the debate up again. I actually deleted a previous post at the beginning of this thread where I said 40 minutes because I was feeling it was fanning flames. I am merely stating how I make and like my risotto. I have heard of, and seen recipes for, risotto that take only 20 minutes and I am sure it is great!

pressure cooker, now thats a way to get it done quicker !

well, it's a way to cook it quicker, but no Italian would ever call it Risotto. because you don't get exactly the wavy texture in the pressure cooker. Close, but no cigar. :rolleyes:

No. I don't set a timer because I don't leave the pan alone once I start cooking.

I use this brand of rice. It's imported from Italy.

how about next time you make it, for the hell of it ... set it for 20 minutes and see if its done when the timer goes off ?

i see its a different type, ill have to see if i can find some.

any one see" my cousin vinny "
reminds me of when he starts questioning the guy about the time to make grits
"you sure about that 10 minutes ?" :LOL:

I had never made a risotto till I made a couple two weeks ago. The very first one took in the neighborhood of 40 minutes before it was done to my satisfaction. I liked it enough I decided to make risotto for the week and quadrupled the recipe (which turned out to be more than I could use in a week's time!) and it took me about 2 hours. I was cooking over low heat in an open pot adding broth in stages. I have no clue as to whether this is how it typically works out or if I just don't know what I can get away with and still come out with the desired effect yet.

Back
Top Bottom