How long does it take for you to make Risotto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About 20 minutes. Cooking time. Prep time maybe 10.

What Jenny said. Depends upon how many veggies you are chopping/cutting up for it.

Italians describe a well-made risotto as being "all 'onde" or wavy (like the ocean). The rice should remain toothsome, while all around it the liquid has evaporated and/or been absorbed to the point of seeming creamy.

The way to test the doneness of the rice is to bite into a grain. If it has a firmness at the core, (not hard all through) then it's ready to serve.

i was going by AB's method, cooked it till the rice was tender all the way though was about 40 minute ...
what are you doing differently to get it done in 20 ?

Directions

In an electric kettle or medium saucepan with a lid, combine chicken broth and white wine and heat just to simmering. Keep warm.
In a large 3 to 4-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and sweat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the grains are translucent around the edges. Be careful not to allow the grains or the onions to brown.
Reduce the heat to low. Add enough of the wine and chicken stock just to cover the top of the rice. Stir or move the pan often, until the liquid is completely absorbed into rice. Once absorbed, add another amount of liquid just to cover the rice and continue stirring or moving as before. There should be just enough liquid left to repeat 1 more time. It should take approximately 35 to 40 minutes for all of the liquid to be absorbed. After the last addition of liquid has been mostly absorbed, add the mushrooms and asparagus and stir until risotto is creamy and asparagus is heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan, lemon zest, and nutmeg. Taste and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Sear, thats pretty much my method but I honestly haven't timed it. I THINK I'm closer to 20-30 minutes though, certainly not 40. You think altitude might factor here?

I have never heard "40 minutes." All the Italian cooking teachers I know and books as well, say it should take about 20 minutes adding the stock by the ladle-ful until the rice will absorb no more.

and that is my experience. over and over. :)

However, 20 minutes is merely the cooking time. Does not include the prep. and yes, the stock must be simmering.

40 minutes seems way to long. What kind of rice are you using?

And are you stirring (or as Jamie Oliver says "massaging") the rice and liquid?

that is weird, I thought I posted a reply here. What happened.

I think you may have to factor in how much rice yuo are making. A cup or a 4 cups?

that is weird, I thought I posted a reply here. What happened.

I think you may have to factor in how much rice yuo are making. A cup or a 4 cups?

The amount of rice has never made any difference, Charlie. I just use a larger pot. :) The timing is the same.

aHA, THEN THAT'S WHAT MY PROBLEM WAS. i USED THE SAME POT, (grrr, sorry about that) I always use the same pot when I make just a little bit of risotto for my self or a lot for the whole family. Mostly becasue that it the pot I like.

Sear, thats pretty much my method but I honestly haven't timed it. I THINK I'm closer to 20-30 minutes though, certainly not 40. You think altitude might factor here?

ok, i think you changed your original response..lol
in NY

I have never heard "40 minutes." All the Italian cooking teachers I know and books as well, say it should take about 20 minutes adding the stock by the ladle-ful until the rice will absorb no more.

and that is my experience. over and over. :)

However, 20 minutes is merely the cooking time. Does not include the prep. and yes, the stock must be simmering.

i was including the simmering of onion and then rice .. before adding stock,
dont really consider that prep. started track of time then

yes i have the stock simmering

Sear? I think you maybe quoted the wrong person? I haven't edited my post at all. I confess I'm confused.

To reiterate, are you at a higher altitude? We are, I was just wondering if that might be a factor?

ok, i think you changed your original response..lol
in NY

i was including the simmering of onion and then rice .. before adding stock,
dont really consider that prep. started track of time then

yes i have the stock simmering

Prep for risotto does NOT include sautéing the onions. that's part of the 20 minutes.

Sear? I think you maybe quoted the wrong person? I haven't edited my post at all. I confess I'm confused.

To reiterate, are you at a higher altitude? We are, I was just wondering if that might be a factor?

after i made post #6 someone agreed with about 40 minutes .. they either deleted it or changed it, cuz i came back later and it wasnt there :huh:

im in NY so, not high alt.

OOOOOOOOO! OK, got it. Sorry about that. I get you now. Thanks for clarifying.

Sear, do you think maybe its prep time vs actual cooking time that is the difference here? Seems that some of the folks that gave you answers were not counting the same steps you were. Think we are all roughly in the same ballpark though.

You got me craving risotto now!

Back
Top Bottom