How long to marinade chuck roast in wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhscott

Assistant Cook
I have a 2.5lb bone-in chuck roast that I'm planning on cooking slow and low (200F for ~8 hours, or however long it takes to get to 170), and I'm wondering how long is too long for marinading it in a full bottle of wine? I've recently learned that too much time in an acidic marinade can actually make the meat tougher, which is the opposite of what I want! Should I marinade it overnight? For an hour? 24 hours? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Great, thank you! Yeah, to be honest I've been debating weather to even cook it in wine at all since the natural flavor of that cut of beef is delicious after a low and slow cook, but besides cooking it over charcoal, I'm thinking that a braise is the next best option.

Great, thank you! Yeah, to be honest I've been debating weather to even cook it in wine at all since the natural flavor of that cut of beef is delicious after a low and slow cook, but besides cooking it over charcoal, I'm thinking that a braise is the next best option.

There's no doubt that a braise would produce the best flavour & tenderness of your beef.

Marinades don't penetrate very far into the meat, so infusing it with a flavorful braising liquid will work much better. I would brown the beef on all sides in olive oil, remove it to a plate, and sauté onions and garlic. Brown a couple tablespoons of tomato paste, then deglaze with a cup of wine. Reduce that by half, then add some beef or chicken stock and herbs like rosemary and thyme. Add the beef and braise till tender.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom