"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Going from stove top to fridge may be just as bad (or worse) than leaving it sit for a few hours. The fridge is not a magical box that cures all. It takes time to cool down a large mass when it goes in, and it also heats up those items around it putting them at risk as well.

I put some stock in the fridge overnight and then next morning it was 70F. It had been in there for over 8 hours. This is why I ice bath first.

Something to consider.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

IF the sauce is simmering and you turn off the burner and cover the pot, It will be a couple of hours before the internal temp of the sauce drops to 140F. Then no more than two hours. So you may get four hours out of it. If it was going to be longer than that, I'd divide it up into a couple of smaller batches and ice bathe them prior to refrigeration.

On the other side of the argument, it's a very acidic environment and could be OK for longer.

How about storing it in a cooler full of ice?

Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
Master Chef

One of my favorite breakfasts used to be the pizza that sat out on the counter all night long so I would not be concerned about the sauce being out for a couple of hours.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
Head Chef

Two hours is just not going to be a problem. You killed everything that wasn't a spore, and those take days or weeks to cause problems. If I cooked it the night before, I'd chill it for the next evening, but I wouldn't throw it out if I forgot and left it out.

These things are sometimes like the Army. The general want a parade at 8:00. The colonel says be ready at 7:00 to be safe. The major says 6:00 to be absolutely sure. By the time it gets down to the sergeant, the troops are falling in at midnight.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
One of my favorite breakfasts used to be the pizza that sat out on the counter all night long so I would not be concerned about the sauce being out for a couple of hours.
Funny.. pizza is the only thing I have ever eaten the next morning that had set out all night and I still examine it suspiciously to make sure it hasn't grown hair overnight....
Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I know it's very bad practice but we often leave cooked foods in their original pots, saucers, or whatever, left on the stovetop overnight, then pack some of them for lunch to take to work the next day.

Growing up my mother would make Soups, Stews, Chili, Spaghetti Sauce or any other one pot meal in the early morning. Then she would leave it on the stove all day and we would heat it up in the evening. No one got sick or died.
How do you think people did it before Refrigeration?
I think people that are that worried should put their food in the garage or shed (second car, deck, screened in porch, attic) to cool if it makes them feel better.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #17
Master Chef

I think growing up consuming day old unrefrigerated food made our system immune to semi-spoiled food for the most part...LOL...
As a matter of fact, just this afternoon at work I had chicken curry that my wife made which sat all night on the stove top for lunch today. Being it was chicken I nuked the curry til it was boiling. YMMV.

One common food item we always leave out til the next day is steamed rice. I know we've had a lengthy thread about this issue a while back.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I think growing up consuming day old unrefrigerated food made our system immune to semi-spoiled food for the most part...LOL...

We need a thumbs up smily here, well I give one. I bring my lunch for work and always forget to put in the fridge, by the time I get around eating it it is around 4, which means it's been seatting out for at least 8 hours. Thank G-d I am well.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

When I lived in Germany, we had a small fridge (about the size of a bar fridge). The house did not have central heating and we would put leftovers in the laundry room. I suffered no ill effects from the food that was left out in the laundry room. But then, we also drank raw milk...why the laundry room? The ceramic fireplace was in the kitchen. We fermented kaffir in the cupboard in that kitchen...
Old 04-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
We need a thumbs up smily here, well I give one. I bring my lunch for work and always forget to put in the fridge, by the time I get around eating it it is around 4, which means it's been seatting out for at least 8 hours. Thank G-d I am well.
Here you go. Save this one and use it. Attachment 13410

Tags
food