How Many Clams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Steamers", also known as "Soft-Shell Clams", are completely different from the hard-shell varieties many of you are thinking of. They are relatively small; have an extremely thin, brittle shell; & are always served steamed - never "stuffed", "baked", or "raw" - usually with drawn butter & lemon, & sometimes with a cup of the steaming liquid on the side. Obviously you can also steam hard-shell clams, but they're not called "Steamers".

When I make Steamers as a meal by themselves, I buy 4 pounds for my husband & myself. If I was serving them along with other entree items, I'd probably count on just 1 pound per person instead of 2.

Oh - & if you have any leftover cooked Steamers, just shell them & peel the siphon/neck as usual, then save them in a little of their steaming broth to add to "Clam Sauce" for "Spaghetti with Clam Sauce" in a day or two (or you can freeze them).

Now you've given me a taste for them. Will have to pick some up at the market today or tomorrow. :)

I'm here to learn. I always thought that steamers were a size designation, not a different species. Similar to stewing oysters. I don't know that I have ever seen any clams in Richmond labelled steamers or soft shells. Will have to look closer.

Nope, "steamers" isn't a size designation. Soft-shell clams don't have a size designation.

Not that I'm a big fan of Wikipedia, but they have a pic & some info on soft-shells that might give you an idea:

Soft-shell clam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also - if any of you have enjoyed "fried clams" in a restaurant or from the supermarket frozen food section, those are soft-shell clams.
I fondly remember clamming for soft-shells growing up on Long Island, NY's waterfront. "Razor Clams", though different in appearance, are also considered a "soft shell". Back when I was growing up (when the dinosaurs roamed - lol!), we used to toss Razor Clams back as they were supposedly "inedible". Little did we know. They're now a much sought after prize.

Oh, & one more little educational tidbit - the HUGE Geoduck of the Pacific Northwest is a soft-shell clam!

When my son and daughter were 10 & 8. I took them to a pub that specialized in steamed seafood. I thought that they would want a hot dog or a burger, but to my surprise, they wanted to try the clams and mussels. Well, 4 dozen clams and two orders of mussels later, they finally said they were full! The waitress just shook her head and laughed!

the term "steamers" is loosely used around here.

it usually means the soft shell clams that breezy mentioned, but i've also frequently seen hard shell steamed clams referred to as steamers.

Back
Top Bottom