"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 03-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
You have no idea how exhausting it can be to produce shopping. I am exhausted by the end of the day, and I'm getting paid for that. Today's challenge was 92 small shallots. Subjective.

I also had to pick up 184 perfect Star Anise. Do you have any idea how long it takes to sort through a bin of Star Anise to fine 184 that aren't broken? Or how many bags of 7-8 shallots you need to buy for 92 orders? Yes, charts help!
I hope this company you are working for appreciates all of your efforts.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:20 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I hope this company you are working for appreciates all of your efforts.
They do, Addie! I've reduced the "over buying" substantially, especially with herbs, during the last 3 weeks. The gal who normally figures out quantities was on holidays. The boss has since decided that I should be the one to figure these things out. It is better to have to go pick up what is missing on Saturday than to have a case of leftover cabbage, cauliflower, or leeks. Not that I minded (nor did my friends), and we paid "past their best date" prices for those things, not that they were, and the $ got donated to the local food bank, but it has helped the company's bottom line to be more bang on. Our veggies and proteins get delivered Saturday mornings, the ingredients get delivered on Sundays, so the ingredients are as fresh as we can get them.

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote