How many radishes in a pound and other such things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
As the person who is responsible for sourcing ingredients for the company for which I work, one of the challenges is that a chef will indicate that 5 rahttp://www.foodgeeks.com/resources/conversion_charts#lmdishes are needed. However, we have 108 orders x 5 radishes. We order in bulk, so I am challenged to figure out how much need. TI tend to go to these sites if I don't have the ingredients on hand to weigh/measure:

Fruits and vegetables: A buying guide - Canadian Living

Online Conversion - Weight to Volume Cooking Conversion

Recipe Conversion Charts - Foodgeeks

Anyone else have any favorite web sites that help you decide how much you need to buy for a recipe by weight/ml/oz?

As the person who is responsible for sourcing ingredients for the company for which I work, one of the challenges is that a chef will indicate that 5 rahttp://www.foodgeeks.com/resources/conversion_charts#lmdishes are needed. However, we have 108 orders x 5 radishes. We order in bulk, so I am challenged to figure out how much need. TI tend to go to these sites if I don't have the ingredients on hand to weigh/measure:

Fruits and vegetables: A buying guide - Canadian Living

Online Conversion - Weight to Volume Cooking Conversion

Recipe Conversion Charts - Foodgeeks

Anyone else have any favorite web sites that help you decide how much you need to buy for a recipe by weight/ml/oz?
The answer to at least part of the question in your title is "How long is a piece of string?" It depends on the size. :rolleyes:

Actually, there are averages. I have gone to the local produce depot and picked small beets out of the bin (counting to 120) and been bang on for the number of orders. 3 beets that fit in the palm of my hand weigh 1/2 lb. There are 6 stalks/sprig of oregano in a gram, etc. I just wish the chefs would all measure things using the same units of measure.

It does depend on a lot of factors, but if you need to know how many 1" radishes are in a lb, these guidelines help. I was bang on with the # of radishes needed last week and 5% off on the number of heads of cabbage.

It also depends on the type of radish

They come in lots of sizes
Not only the type but very importantly how long since they were harvested. When they were harvested had they absorbed all the water their little cells could hold?
I know some farm owners who grow acres of market crops.
The one thing they are all determined to do is make sure any veg. they are selling weigh as much as possible AKA lots of water on the fields in the days prior to harvesting.
If the radish doesn't reach the chef for a week or so which is often the case the radish can weigh half of what it weighed when fresh harvested.

You have no idea how exhausting it can be to produce shopping. I am exhausted by the end of the day, and I'm getting paid for that. Today's challenge was 92 small shallots. Subjective.

I also had to pick up 184 perfect Star Anise. Do you have any idea how long it takes to sort through a bin of Star Anise to fine 184 that aren't broken? Or how many bags of 7-8 shallots you need to buy for 92 orders? Yes, charts help!

You have no idea how exhausting it can be to produce shopping. I am exhausted by the end of the day, and I'm getting paid for that. Today's challenge was 92 small shallots. Subjective.

I also had to pick up 184 perfect Star Anise. Do you have any idea how long it takes to sort through a bin of Star Anise to fine 184 that aren't broken? Or how many bags of 7-8 shallots you need to buy for 92 orders? Yes, charts help!

I hope this company you are working for appreciates all of your efforts. :angel:

I hope this company you are working for appreciates all of your efforts. :angel:
They do, Addie! I've reduced the "over buying" substantially, especially with herbs, during the last 3 weeks. The gal who normally figures out quantities was on holidays. The boss has since decided that I should be the one to figure these things out. It is better to have to go pick up what is missing on Saturday than to have a case of leftover cabbage, cauliflower, or leeks. Not that I minded (nor did my friends), and we paid "past their best date" prices for those things, not that they were, and the $ got donated to the local food bank, but it has helped the company's bottom line to be more bang on. Our veggies and proteins get delivered Saturday mornings, the ingredients get delivered on Sundays, so the ingredients are as fresh as we can get them.

Back
Top Bottom