"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2018, 05:50 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I use 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 corn oil. I don't keep it for long. I don't heat it to the max, enough to get the cubes of bread I throw in a nice golden colour. I have a large, deep pan, and I only use enough oil to come 1/2 way up. I don't wait until it's turned a darker colour through use. I get rid of it before that happens. I always use my kitchen thermometre. All this seems to work for me.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
I am thinking if I can always use less oil for deep frying but more oil for
pan frying? In that case I don't need to use too
much oil while at the same time it's not just pan fried, but I take longer
to fry the food. Will it be a better "middle" way to take advantage of both cases?
Surely it would be better (and easier) to cut down on fried food generally.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #13
Sous Chef

It probably would - but not nearly as much fun! It's the 'naughty but nice' factor that's attractive, apart from the taste! You've made me think of Yorkshire Pudding! Naughty but nice. I can now do toad-in-the-hole, now that I've given my butcher the recipe for the sausages. OH is over the moon!!

To our friends in DC, 'Toad in the hole' is Yorkshire Pudding with sausages in it, and baked. Recipe to follow. It's a winter dish. I'll send the lot: the recipe for the sausages, and the recipe for Yorkshire Pudding. If nothing else, you may be interested to read a recipe that goes very well as a during-the-week dish. In the UK, it's a really great favourite. Thank you Mad Cook!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:07 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Surely it would be better (and easier) to cut down on fried food generally.
I had a microbiologist customer who explained to me how frying any food, much like charring it, adds carcinogens. So yea, frying may not be the healthiest.

I keep a deep fryer set up in my garage, but its not something I use all the time. And especially after going on a low carb diet, its been a natural reduction in my deep fried food consumption since potato fries and chips are out of the diet and I haven't found a real good replacement for any coatings for vegetables, etc., so I mostly do chicken wings these days...with no coatings.

I do have a pan fried southern chicken coating recipe thats working well for me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
It probably would - but not nearly as much fun!
Aint that the truth!? Funny how I seldom hear health nuts telling mountain climbers what they do is hazardous to their long term well being! A mountain climber will tell you the risk is worth the joy they get from it, even if they die doing it.

Wouldn't it stink to be the epitome of perfect health and still get hit by that tractor trailer on the highway?

Chef Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Kenny View Post
I do have a pan fried southern chicken coating recipe thats working well for me though.

I would be interested in seeing your recipe..

Ross
Old 09-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
I would be interested in seeing your recipe..

Ross

It's actually not an original of my own, its from Buttoni, the lady I tried to lure over here to fire up that new Low Carb section here. I dont think she ever got a reply as to whether she would be allowed to link her own work/blog. Either she never got a reply/ruling on it, or got one that said no, she cant, either way, shes hasn't been back that I can see.
Here's the chicken breader:

https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2018/0...ied-chicken-4/

It is remarkably crunchy and in my experience stayed on the chicken really well. It's for cast iron pan frying, I haven't tried deep frying with it yet, except a disaster when I tried to deep fry with zucchini sticks for fries...nope, that did not work out well!

A lot of her recipes are sort of game changers for me. Especially a few of her bread recipes. Her dumplings/pasta dough is about as good as any low carb pasta dough, but I've not found any, including hers to rave about. Other's mileage has varied though and they seem to like the stuff.

All requires some pantry items most folks dont have usually, but once you stock up...you got it.

Chef Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:54 PM   #17
Head Chef

Thank you, Chef Kenny..
Ross
Old 09-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I reuse the oil in my fry daddy over, over and over again. Then I strain it and do it all over again. I add new to bring the level up.

I do lots of things that are not good for my health. This one is way down on my list.

Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil