"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
Cook

How many times could frying oil be re-used/re-heated?

I like deep frying but a lot of times it uses up a lot of oil and oil is not cheap. How many times could oil be re-heated, re-used again ? (Chemistry suggests that repeated heating up of oil could release harmful substances... is that true?)

kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

It depends on what kind of oil you use, what you are frying and how well you clean the oil after each use.

You need a high smoke point oil. Corn oil is one example of an inexpensive oil that has a high smoke point.

Frying lots of meats will cause the oil to deteriorate faster than onion rings or french fries. Fish can flavor the oil so it's only good for fish.

After each use, cool the oil then strain it into an opaque container and store it in a cool dark place. I use a clean cotton men's handkerchief in a mesh strainer to catch all the solid matter because cheese cloth is a pain in the butt.

I can't say how many times I reuse the oil. After cooking and cleaning there is less oil than I started with. Next time I fry, I reuse that oil and add some fresh oil to get the amount I want. So Some of the oil has been used several times and some a few times and some is new.

Can't speak to the harmful substances and don't worry about them. After all, I'm eating fried foods.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It depends on what kind of oil you use, what you are frying and how well you clean the oil after each use.

You need a high smoke point oil. Corn oil is one example of an inexpensive oil that has a high smoke point.

Frying lots of meats will cause the oil to deteriorate faster than onion rings or french fries. Fish can flavor the oil so it's only good for fish.

After each use, cool the oil then strain it into an opaque container and store it in a cool dark place. I use a clean cotton men's handkerchief in a mesh strainer to catch all the solid matter because cheese cloth is a pain in the butt.

I can't say how many times I reuse the oil. After cooking and cleaning there is less oil than I started with. Next time I fry, I reuse that oil and add some fresh oil to get the amount I want. So Some of the oil has been used several times and some a few times and some is new.

Can't speak to the harmful substances and don't worry about them. After all, I'm eating fried foods.

I am thinking if I can always use less oil for deep frying but more oil for
pan frying? In that case I don't need to use too
much oil while at the same time it's not just pan fried, but I take longer
to fry the food. Will it be a better "middle" way to take advantage of both cases?
Old 05-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
I am thinking if I can always use less oil for deep frying but more oil for
pan frying? In that case I don't need to use too
much oil while at the same time it's not just pan fried, but I take longer
to fry the food. Will it be a better "middle" way to take advantage of both cases?

Hi Kenny. I don't deep fry anything mainly because I don't want to deal with the trouble, expense and mess of all that oil. In a skillet, if you add enough oil to come half way up the thickness of the food, you can accomplish the same thing with turning.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Nice answer there Kay. I have a Fry Daddy that I only use to cook fish and chips with. I'm trying to learn how to use a skillet and oil rather than my Fry Daddy. Chicken drummets and fish pieces are what I use my Fry Daddy for these days, and fries. That's it. I'm hoping to wean myself off the Fry Daddy and fry up stuff in a skillet now. So far, I've had no luck frying up anything larger than wings in my Fry Daddy (fish and chips come out barely ok). I'm hoping to do the same making fish and chips in a skillet. I'm saying my Fry Daddy is not for thighs and drumsticks. I do better attempting those in my cast iron skillet.

Have I mastered that? Hell no, not yet anyways.
Caslon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #6
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Hi Kenny. I don't deep fry anything mainly because I don't want to deal with the trouble, expense and mess of all that oil. In a skillet, if you add enough oil to come half way up the thickness of the food, you can accomplish the same thing with turning.
Will it be much better to use a Chinese wok (curved shape)
instead of a skillet (flattened shape), and add enough oil
to come half way up the thickness of the food?
In that case I can save up the oil even more?
You know, all oil accumulates in the center of the curved shape wok and that will not need that much oil as a skillet
Old 05-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...You know, all oil accumulates in the center of the curved shape wok and that will not need that much oil as a skillet
Yes, but that means you have a smaller deeper pool of oil. If you're frying larger things like fish fillets or chicken cutlets, you need more surface area and less depth.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:02 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I like deep frying but a lot of times it uses up a lot of oil and oil is not cheap. How many times could oil be re-heated, re-used again ? (Chemistry suggests that repeated heating up of oil could release harmful substances... is that true?)
I know my memory isn't all that good sometimes, but I thought I remembered you asking a similar question not all that long ago. Sure enough, here is your previous thread on this subject:

Should cooking oil be reused after deep frying, any health concern?

There might be additional information in that thread that Andy, Kayelle, and Caslon haven't covered here.

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I use my Fry Daddy almost every day.
I use it until its gets dirty. Then I strain it and use it again until it gets dirty.
I reuse it a lot.

I keep a spare Fry Daddy on hand and switch when its time to change it.
I don't change it as much as most people would.

Oh...I use soybean oil that I get at Costco.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
Cook

My small fryer is this T-Fal EZ clean
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQ7QFGM...v_ov_lig_dp_it

They have come down in price enough that they are definitely worth it. I think they have improved the quality as well, they were known to fail electrically for a while

I also have a big electric turkey fryer, but that is a much bigger project to clean. It's good for large batches of smaller parts also and it will also do a low country boil...which I haven't tried yet.

The EZ clean fryer makes it...well...easy!...er. You just flip a switch and the oil drains in to a reservoir through a built in filter screen. You can then either wash the fryer parts, or if in a hurry, you can wipe the sludge in to a trash can, finsh wiping out and its right back in use. Just pour the oil back in from the reservoir and top it off if needed.

I usually go by color. When it gets brown enough, my instinct tells me its time...also odor, if its taken on an odor I dont care for (like with seafood) I change it.

I use pretty much exclusively peanut oil. For the smoke point and flavor, its my opinion that it is the best. It's also very expensive. One of the reasons I've stayed a member of Sam's Club and havent left for Costco is this oil. Costco sells none, and Sam's has a 4.5 gallon for about $35 or about 6 an ounce. Nowhere else I found has pricing anywhere near this except Walmart is offering this
https://www.walmart.com/ip/LouAna-Pe...allon/10294990
which is about 8 an ounce, not too shabby but only available to me shipped free to my store.
Walmart also offers this https://www.walmart.com/ip/LouAna-Pe...FL-OZ/10293013
but still, it has to be shipped to the store if you want it shipped free...and almost twice the price of the big Sam's club container per ounce.

Tags
oil