How many times I can reuse the oil for deep frying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I always want to do some deep frying home but cooking oil is not cheap and I think it's not very good for our earth if I use it only once.

But how many times I can safely reuse the cooking oil for deep frying?
And how long I can keep the reused oil before next use?

Do I need to put it into the refrigeratior or simply OK at room temperature and pressure?

Does it also depend on types of the oil?

Or is it just a kind of risk and probability calculation so the danger of the
the used cooking oil for health adds up every time it's used again?

Deep frying calls for a lot of oil so I go with inexpensive oil with a high smoke point. Corn oil meets those requirements.

Each time you fry food in oil the oil deteriorates a bit. How much it does is related to the heat level the type of food you fry and how well you clean it.

Heating oil past its smoke point will cause it to break down and taste bad. Then the food you fry will also taste bad. Use a thermometer to manage the temperature of the oil while you cook. Don't let it get too hot.

If you fry fish all the time, the oil will probably not be good for anything else. Potatoes, onion rings, chicken wings will allow the oil to last longer.

After each frying session, I let the oil cool then strain it through a handkerchief to get out all the little bits of food. If left in the oil they will burn and give your oil an off taste.

Save the used oil in a light safe container and the next time you fry, just add a little new oil to bring the level up to cooking level.

As you reuse oil, it will get darker in color and the smoke point will drop making it unusable for frying. If you see your oil smoking at cooking temperatures, you should toss it and start over.

Last edited:
Deep frying calls for a lot of oil so I go with inexpensive oil with a high smoke point. Corn oil meets those requirements.

Each time you fry food in oil the oil deteriorates a bit. How much it does is related to the heat level the type of food you fry and how well you clean it.

Heating oil past its smoke point will cause it to break down and taste bad. Then the food you fry will also taste bad. Use a thermometer to manage the temperature of the oil while you cook. Don't let it get too hot.

If you fry fish all the time, the oil will probably not be good for anything else. Potatoes, onion rings, chicken wings will allow the oil to last longer.

After each frying session, I let the oil cool then strain it through a handkerchief to get out all the little bits of food. If left in the oil they will burn and give your oil an off taste.

Save the used oil in a light safe container and the next time you fry, just add a little new oil to bring the level up to cooking level.

As you reuse oil, it will get darker in color and the smoke point will drop making it unusable for frying. If you see your oil smoking at cooking temperatures, you should toss it and start over.

Andy, I've never heard or seen a better response than yours.

Having said that, no wonder I won't be bothered with deep frying anything myself, but I certainly appreciate eating good fried foods. I just shallow fry and discard the oil every time.

Andy, I've never heard or seen a better response than yours.

Having said that, no wonder I won't be bothered with deep frying anything myself, but I certainly appreciate eating good fried foods. I just shallow fry and discard the oil every time.

Thanks.

Timely thread as I recently got a Dual Daddy fryer and was wondering the same thing. The fryer uses 8 cups of oil and I've been using canola oil from Sam's Club, 6 quarts for $8.

A lot of it depends on what you are frying also..if you fry fish or onion rings in it, that will depart strong flavors so the next time you want to use your oil for something it may have some of those flavors in it..
Most restaurants change the oil every few days..if you strain it, it will last longer as the particles will continue to cook every time it is heated which will create an acrid smell..I have a small fryer at home and I use the oil twice, but I also buy it by the pail twice a week for the deli..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom