"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #51
Master Chef

Popcorn, melting butter and reheating left overs. Those are the main reasons I use it. On occasion, I use it to finish and under cooked cut of meat due to my mis judgement. Other than that, I never really use it to "cook" anything.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #52
Master Chef

LOL - how could I have forgotten? Hot dogs, super chili dogs, Frito chili pie ... the first thing I ever had cooked in a microwave was a hot dog - back in 1953 in a Radar Range that was about the size of a full sized refrigerator.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Archiduc - we debunked this faux pas a long time ago! Basically - the the statement was backwards - microwaved vegetables retain about 97% of their nutrients - not lose them.

I use my "high power wave-guide directed scattered distribution sealed enclosure contained high radio frequency electromagnetic carrier wave generator" to steam vegetables, defrost or heat up stuff, melt chocolate or cheese (that would normally take a double-boiler) and to "bake" potatoes in 7-minutes. And the number one use ... to heat up a cup of yesterday's left over coffer for an "eye opener" while the new day's brew is making.
Did you even bother to read my reply - I THINK NOT, Michael.

If you did you would have seen that my response was POSED as a question (see the punctuation) and FRAMED as a question (see the wording).

In my response to the origingal poster, I posed the question as to where the original research that says 95% plus of original nutrients are destroyed by microwave cooking might be found (?). WHERE IS THE RESEARCH - THE EVIDENCE??????????????????????????????????

READ MY POSTING - SEE THE QUESTION MARK!!! Take off those glasses!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is the research - frankly I doubt if you will find any research, by anyone, in any country which says that nutrient loss by microwave cooking is anything like that claimed by the original poster. And this (questioning) point was axiomatic/self-evident throught the words, text, use of language and construction of sentences in my posting text - clarly you had glasse on at this point!

Through my sentence structure and my use of the interogative tone, i.e. use of words and a question mark positioned/placed at the end of the sentence, one cannot (therefore) infer anything other than my questioning of the original text.

My question remains - where is the evidence regarding the loss of nutrients when cooking with a microwave cooker (it`s a cooker - not an oven) compared with other methods of cooking vegetables?

Michael - you are a moderator on this board and I am a poster. I have to say never have I felt myself so betrayed.

A.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #54
Senior Cook

I only use it if I am in a rush. I find a mircowave kills most flavors, or changes the meal all together. It makes most things rubber like.

I like to re-heat on a stove or oven. In fact, I re-heat my pasta's on the stove. I use Olive Oil and butter, along with some fresh basil. If you have never tried this, next do try it.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #55
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastaKing View Post
I only use it if I am in a rush. I find a mircowave kills most flavors, or changes the meal all together. It makes most things rubber like.

I like to re-heat on a stove or oven. In fact, I re-heat my pasta's on the stove. I use Olive Oil and butter, along with some fresh basil. If you have never tried this, next do try it.
More like refreshing the meal as to reaheating it? I am with you on that one. I would rather reheat my meals on the stove or in the oven. I think DH tends to use the nuker more to reheat stuff than I would.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:59 PM   #56
Cook

If I'm in a hurry, I use a microwave, otherwise it's the stove. If I microwave vegetables, yes it may lose some of the nutrients but to compensate, I just take a few vitamin pills. Usually I use them for (re-)heating up a meal, popcorn or if I'm in a rush. If I'm cooking something and it requires carrots or something else, sometimes, after cutting them up, I'll take a pyrex dish and put some water in it then toss the carrots or whatever it is into it. After they're a bit cooked (not to a point where they're mushy), I toss them in, liquid and all into the pan. Gives added flavour of the ingredients, especially ones you want to emphasize.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:53 AM   #57
Master Chef

Actually, Archiduc - yes I did read your interogatives with question marks and other punctuation and stuff ... you obviously didn't read all of this thread if you think I agreed with the original poster (who has not been on in over a year) and this thread was started back in 2004!!! Maybe my mistake was that I did not limit my reply to you?

Look at this (will answer your interogative of the scientific basis for the initial assertions made in this thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
When I first started this about a nuker, I quoted a chef who was on Sara's Secrets who compared the nutrients gained from eating vegetables raw, steamed, boiled and nuked. Some questioned the validity of the statement. I finally found who it was. The guest was Anna Thomas and her cookbook is The New Vegatarian Epicure. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiduc
My question remains - where is the evidence regarding the loss of nutrients when cooking with a microwave cooker (it`s a cooker - not an oven) compared with other methods of cooking vegetables?
Yes, indeed! I would LOVE to see some proof to the contrary when all of the evidence is in the other direction (that microwaving retains the most nutriendents).

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiduc
Michael - you are a moderator on this board and I am a poster. I have to say never have I felt myself so betrayed.
I think you didn't read what I said, or the rest of the thread that I was responding to.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #58
Head Chef

the removal of the nutrients is bull!
As a matter of fact, microwaving actually preserves much of the nutrients better than conventional cooking.
Microwave Mania - Yale-New Haven Hospital

Another bit from another source about using microwaves..

"John McDougall, M.D., practices nutritional medicine. He’s been on the "alternative" healthcare scene for more than twenty years and is one of the leading crusaders in bringing attention to the effects of nutrition on disease. He’s authored several national bestselling lifestyle books as well as vegetarian cookbooks, which he writes with his wife, Mary. They forgo animal products (including dairy) in favor of vegetables, whole grains, and beans. And, they are avid users of the microwave oven, encouraging its use to streamline the often cumbersome process of preparing a whole-foods diet. Dr. McDougall’s zeal for microwaving is based on examining the research. He says he’s found that microwaving "doesn’t do anything worse to the food than conventional cooking." He confidently adds, "I like to make sure all of the things I fight are worth fighting against. And as far as I’m concerned microwaves is not where the enemy is at.""
Old 03-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

geez, i think we had this question answered by the second page of posts.

glad to hear that we were correct. thanks to tdejarnette for the links.

another fun one was about nukers causing diseases like cancer. they might make your eyes boil and pop if you mess with the door, but that's about it.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #60
Certified Pretend Chef

Didn't you know they can make you sterile if you stand too close while they are running!