"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-13-2004, 05:19 PM   #1
Certified Executive Chef

How many use Nukers & how

I got rid of my nuker about 6 months ago after seeing one of the cooking shows' guests (Think it was on Sara's Secrets) who was a vegetarian and nutritionist. She, of course, said raw vegies were the best for getting the nutrients out of what you eat and you get 100% with raw. If you steam them you lose ~ 5%, if you boil you lose ~50%, and if you nuke you lose ~97%. That is when I stopped using it. I did not use it for much anyway, never cooked meat or an entire meal in it (I do not buy frozen or pre-ckaged food) only potatoes, steamed vegies, boiling water and poping corn. Now I eat raw vegetables only and in my salads, except of course you have to cook orange squash, green beans, rutabegas, parsnips and the like. When I do cook vegies I always roast them and they taste so much better than steaming. AS to popcorn, i am now using the old shake the pot method.

:roll: GO DUCKS

Old 09-13-2004, 05:21 PM   #2

I just made chili.. I cooked my ground beef in a covered casserole dish.. then drained... worked great.. then I added to the sauteed vegies.. continuing on to finish my chili

Old 09-13-2004, 05:31 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookinBlondie Send a message via MSN to CookinBlondie Send a message via Yahoo to CookinBlondie
Isn't a "Nuker" just a microwave? If so, my sister and I use it all the time! For TONS of stuff! if it's not a microwave, can you explain what it is?
Old 09-13-2004, 05:32 PM   #4
Master Chef

uh-uh. i definately do not like microwaves. they make me nervous, first of all, because they haven't even been around long enough for us to really know what microwaves can DO. (i mean the actual waves, LOL, not some plastic-n-metal thing) and secondly, they just aren't as good at making a good pot of food. i'll take my all-clad and stove any day over that microwave!!! once in awhile a food will kind of require one, but that is the only time i use that thing.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:47 PM   #5
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookinBlondie
Isn't a "Nuker" just a microwave? If so, my sister and I use it all the time! For TONS of stuff! if it's not a microwave, can you explain what it is?
Sorry, yes, nuker is just a nick name because the microwaves supposedly nuke what ever is in it.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I use mine just about everyday! Especially for reheating stuff.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:56 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
i never use microwave lol even to reheat stuff i find technology harmful
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 07:12 PM   #8
Everymom

At the moment I use mine for everything. My kitchen is under construction and I have no stove, oven, kitchen sink...well you get the idea. I have amazed myself with what I can do in a microwave, and as to the harmful stuff, well I only use corning ware or glass in the microwave to eliminate the dioxins.

I too eat nearly all my veggies raw. Including a couple that are on most people's "must cook" list. If you haven't tried raw beans, turnips or zucchini may I suggest that you try them with a lovely dip? Yummy!
Old 09-13-2004, 07:21 PM   #9

Let me rephrase what I said.. I cooked the meat in the microwave.. but not the whole thing of chili.. the vegies were done on the stove, then I added the meat and continued to finish cooking it on the stove..

Every single day they come out with something new that is supposed to be "bad" for you. I don't concern myself with all the "rules." I eat healthy and enjoy my life.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:22 PM   #10
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
At the moment I use mine for everything. My kitchen is under construction and I have no stove, oven, kitchen sink...well you get the idea. I have amazed myself with what I can do in a microwave, and as to the harmful stuff, well I only use corning ware or glass in the microwave to eliminate the dioxins.

I too eat nearly all my veggies raw. Including a couple that are on most people's "must cook" list. If you haven't tried raw beans, turnips or zucchini may I suggest that you try them with a lovely dip? Yummy!
I have eaten raw zucchini and turnips and did like them, but have forgotten about them. I must add them to my shopping list for my salads. Beans, what kind the green string ones. I must cook them. However, I like the sugar peas and other ones raw.

:roll: GO DUCKS