How much do you pay for Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hopz

Senior Cook
Just returned from the grocery. It is a nice place too. Fun, friendly and well stocked... of course they sell water there by the pound.

They spray those veggies more than regularly- call it frequently... and the wetter it is, the more we pay. It might be Bok Choy, Spinach, Lettuce, peppers etc.

Is it worth it to pay for the veggies and the wetness too...

Your opinion counts- tell me what you think.:mad:

I don't have an issue with the water sprayers, it keeps the produce fresher that way. I just shake as much water off as I can before I bag stuff. No biggie for me.

I agree with Gretchen. The items that are watered are usually sold as a unit rather than by the pound.

If it's really wet I shake it off.

Really... I can't imagine the water weight adds anything much to the cost of the food. A teaspoon of water weighs 1/100th of a pound.

Conversion Volume to Weight 1 teaspoon = 4.929 gram = 0.173 oz = 0.0108 lb

City people believe that all that water keeps the veggies fresher.... WRONG!!! Once the veggies have been picked, they shouldn't be washed until you are ready to prepare them for consumption. All that water just speeds up ROT! Just ask a farmer.

and of course, the store wants us to have to replace out veggies more frequently..... :ohmy: that way we spend MORE! :rolleyes:

Yep. If you think about it that produce is usually sold individually. But even if it's sold by the pound (like broccoli heads without the stalks) how much water can soak in? Even if bok choy, the leaves are tight enough so it's not going to hold an exhorbitant amount of water. Anything that is covered in water I shake off too, like everyone else - I just don't want all that water sitting in the bag with my produce.

June, I am without a doubt a city girl, but live in the heart of some pretty amazing farm/ranch land. The stuff here that gets water sprayed on it would be pretty danged wilted without the water. Water, and a cooler temperature DO help keep some produce fresher. I understand your point, but it really is a necessity. Keeping salad greens slightly moist in the fridge keeps them much crisper than no moisture at all.

Alix, "Slightly moist" is in no way how the vegetables are presented in markets in New York/New Jersey. "Waterlogged" is more like it! :mad:

Really? Ugh. Here they are just lightly misted. Not at all waterlogged. Keep in mind though, I'm a lot further north than you are so we have to jump through hoops to keep our produce pretty all year round. LOL.

We just get a mist on our produce too - they are not water-logged. I do believe the water keeps things fresher. The roots of the spring onions stay moist, which helps them stay fresh. Same with parsley, cilantro, etc. If that weren't true we wouldn't put them in a glass of water for storage when we get home...or in a bag with a damp paper towel.

I can certainly see how a good dose of water might ruin some produce - but we only get mist too.

In this case it is not a question of paying more but buying veggies that have been sprayed with water and as a result, do not last in the fridge especially bean sprouts.

Putting the herbs in a glass of water is a completely different thing from spraying the leaves and all with water repeatedly, over and over, all day long. :ohmy:

In our stores, they spray everything, except for the bagged produce section!

I think Chef June made a good point.

We take lettuce leaves, dry the heck out of them, and they keep in a plastic bag a lot londer than the ones with water.

Perhaps the ones not in the plastic do dry out and need some spray.

An interesting questioin and I don't have a good answer.

kitchenelf said:
Actually, I've never seen bean sprouts near the water - they are always kept in the part that is not sprayed.

Back home, they are not bagged except for the ones without the roots which cost a lot more. Where I am now, it's impossible to get them fresh except in jars which is not the same as they get mushy with time. Since I have a few packets of mung beans brought here, I think it's time to sprout my own!

Alix said:
I don't have an issue with the water sprayers, it keeps the produce fresher that way. I just shake as much water off as I can before I bag stuff. No biggie for me.

Where I shop, when the sprayers turn on music plays, "I can't stand the rain" which is pretty funny.

Anyone else notice grocery store music is getting more funkified? I was walking through the other day and found myself listening to Phil Collins and even Led Zepplin, of all things. Used to be elevator music! Heh, even elevator music has stepped up a notch. :rolleyes:

Fraidy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom