"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,394
Aha, thank you. Is it the one the serve some times in this hard shell taco, made into a serving bawl(sp?)?
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
Assistant Cook
 
TexasBirdGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
4 oz? In Texas they would call it taco flavored salad!

.40
Indeed!!!
__________________

__________________
TexasBirdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Aha, thank you. Is it the one the serve some times in this hard shell taco, made into a serving bawl(sp?)?
Yes, that is how they serve in the restaurant and some home cooks do, too! I don't like frying the bowls (**one of the worst restaurant injuries I ever had) so I just serve with chips.

**the oil ran down the tongs when I took a shell out of the fryer, hot oil ran all the way from my 2 little fingers to my elbow, frying the whole way.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes, that is how they serve in the restaurant and some home cooks do, too! I don't like frying the bowls (**one of the worst restaurant injuries I ever had) so I just serve with chips.

**the oil ran down the tongs when I took a shell out of the fryer, hot oil ran all the way from my 2 little fingers to my elbow, frying the whole way.
OUCH!!! I can see why you don't fry them.

I have not tried this but I saw on TV one time where they draped the tortilla (?) over an oven-safe bowl and baked it to from the bowl for the salad. If it works it would be much safer than frying it.
__________________
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,394
Ouch, indeed. I've done the baking thing. Works fine. I bet deep fryied one tastes better.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
OUCH!!! I can see why you don't fry them.

I have not tried this but I saw on TV one time where they draped the tortilla (?) over an oven-safe bowl and baked it to from the bowl for the salad. If it works it would be much safer than frying it.

We would lay the tortilla on top of the oil and then set a weighted coffee can on them to sink them. I got the coffee can out and when I picked up the tortilla, tipped it towards me instead of away. It was quite awhile ago, over 25 years, when everyone was trying to figure out the best way to make taco salad bowls. There are nice baskets now, but they didn't exist then, and they don't fit in my fryer.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Ouch, indeed. I've done the baking thing. Works fine. I bet deep fryied one tastes better.
They taste much better, so I fry up my own tortilla chips to serve.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.