"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-20-2006, 06:05 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

i go back to school monday...also its not really hw....its a random question in the book chef told us to take it home and attempt to figure it out....if so we get extra credit on our test...

do you think you could solve the problem using the numbers i gave? or would it come out the same?....cause ive attempted and i get stuck like half way through or it doesnt seem right

Old 10-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #12
Everymom

LOL! You are the only one who knows what the question actually says. If you want to post it word for word here you might get more help.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:29 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Using the info you gave, you still have to make assumptions to get the job done,

I took a second shot at it with your info.

Figure a cup of raw rice is cooked in two cups of water (an assumption). The total weight of the rice and the water is 6.5 plus 16.67 ounces for a total of 23.17 ounces.

A cup of cooked rice weighs 7.25 ounces. If you divide 23.17 by 7.25 the result is 3.2 cups of cooked rice from a cup of raw and two cups of water.

This takes you to my original calculation in my first post with slightly different results if you use 3.2 cups of cooked rice from a cup of raw instead of the 3.0 I used.

Either way, you have to make an assumption.

If there is a way to answer the question with the facts given and NO assumptions, I don't know what it is so be sure to share.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:57 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Usually, the rule of thumb, Andy, as you mentioned, is to use two parts of water with one part of rice.

For instance, to get one cup of cooked rice, you will need a 1/2 cup of raw rice and one cup of water. For two cups of cooked rice, you need one cup raw rice and two cups of water, and so on.

With just about all types of rice, the rice and water ratio is the same.

~Corey123.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

ok well i updated but there is nothing more to the problem...updated the lbs

theres honestly nothing left there...the problem is as is...the only thing is the lbs which could be figured out by the ounces i gave...
Old 10-21-2006, 03:35 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingSoul
you need 20 cups of cooked long grain white rice how many pounds of raw rice do you need to buy.......
raw rice 1 cup = 6.5 ounces .41 lbs
cooked rice 1 cup = 7.25
.45lbs
Can you get a clarification/confirmation from the teacher in order to solve this? I'd like to know this: does the "cooked rice 1 cup" mean a cup of raw rice, cooked, or is it a cup of cooked rice, presumably scooped from more-than-a-cup of cooked rice?

If it's the former, you can take the two weights you're given and figure out what percentage of the final weight of the cooked rice comes from water and then you should be able to reverse that calculation on the final 20 cups of cooked rice to come up with the dry weight needed.

But if it's the latter, you don't have the information you need to solve this -- you'd need a volume difference raw to cooked.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:09 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

The answer I get doesn't totally make sense with my kitchen cooking but here goes. But in looking, maybe it does. I just measure with cups so haven't ever thought about pounds/C.

If you take all your knowns then you can state it another way,
the lb. in 1C raw rice is to the lbs in 1C cooked rice is the same as X lb. raw rice is to 9 lb. cooked rice.

Since you must compare similar things and in this case cups to lbs then

20C cooked rice weighs 9#. (20 x O.45 (lb/C) = 9 )

o.41 (lb/C raw).........X (lb/ raw)
0.45 (lb./C cooked) = 9 (lb/20C cooked)

I can't get the formatting of the X to hold, but it should be over the nine, of course. And the = in the middle. (the dots are for the formatting.)

Solving this equation makes 8.2# raw rice.

Where are you in culinary school? We are REALLY enjoying our Johnson&Wales.
This question also interests me because it so exactly points out that chefs are not ALL about cooking. Got to plan and know how much to cook for the numbers served.
In touring J&W I was so interested to learn that it isn't just the cooking that is taught to get the culinary degree. J&W is a full accredited university so math, english, etc. are all also taught.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:50 AM   #18
Executive Chef

CookingSoul, I cook rice most of the time. For 2 persons, I prepare rice by cooking 1 cup of raw rice (Thai rice or equivalent) with 1-1/2 cups of water. So you can calculate from there.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:55 AM   #19
Senior Cook

if you ask me, your chef is throwing you for a loop.

any chef in charge of inventory knows that you buy rice in bulk, by the 25 or 50 lb. bag, because that is what is most cost effective. and i've never come across any purveyor that would be willing to sell 2.7 lbs.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:42 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso
if you ask me, your chef is throwing you for a loop.

any chef in charge of inventory knows that you buy rice in bulk, by the 25 or 50 lb. bag, because that is what is most cost effective. and i've never come across any purveyor that would be willing to sell 2.7 lbs.
That would certainly be correct. I also have never been faced with the two trains coming toward me from opposite directions at differering speeds. ;o)
But in a professional kitchen, you would still need to know how to figure out how much food you may need. For the most part, professional kitchens are run on the basis of weights--pastries/baking, for example--and have scales available.
But perhaps more to the point for example, what if the chef knew he was fixing that amount of rice 3 times in the next 10 days. Then a 25# bag of rice would be approximately the amount needed for it all (if I am right in the previous calculations).