"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-19-2006, 10:58 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How much rice do I need?

you need 20 cups of cooked long grain white rice how many pounds of raw rice do you need to buy.......
raw rice 1 cup = 6.5 ounces .41 lbs
cooked rice 1 cup = 7.25
.45lbs
anybody know the answer or can you help me figure it out?

when i say chef...i mean teacher...because at the school i go to every teacher is called a chef because the school does not hire those without chef skills as it would be inappropriate to pay the teachers the money they pay them and not have the experience to back that paycheck thus....every teacher is a qualified chef

i left the lbs out cause my friends kept doing it in lbs which isnt accurate enough...but that is all the information given...

theres a certain method to obtaining the correct answer but...idk what it is =\

ok raw rice = 6.5 oz (oz = ounces) now this means...if you put dry uncooked raw white long grain rice into a measuring cup with the measurement of 1 cup it will weigh 6.5 ounces or (oz) for those who are lacking the ability to grasp this

now...cooked rice = 7.25 ounces (again...its still..oz) means that if you cooked long grain white rice and put it in a measuring cup marked as 1 cup it will weigh 7.25 ounces (oz)

now if you have to read that in order to understand the question..stop now and do not attempt the question...BECAUSE ITS COMMON SENSE

and assume nothing...logical reasoning...all the information is there if you cant decipher then dont worry about it...i will hopefully find out the answer tuesday or monday...i appreciate those who attempted to solve the problems and ive been checking them over but i honestly dont know cause theres so many different answers ive received...

Old 10-19-2006, 11:47 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

A cup of raw rice yields three cups of cooked.

To get 20 cups of cooked rice you would need 6.667 cups of raw rice. That would amount to 43.34 ounces or 2.7 pounds of raw rice.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

now is that using the numbers i produced with the question...or is that just basic rice conversion...i beleive the numbers must be used...im currently in culinary school and i am having problems on this..problem...which is from the book...so i think my chef (teacher) wants the class to use those numbers to determine the correct answer...
Old 10-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
Everymom

According to your numbers, you gain .75 ounces from raw to cooked. I guess you should do the math from there. Never been to culinary school, so I don't have a clue how your math problems work.

If I were you, I'd just take Andy's measurement. He's right.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:22 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

yes but my chef said some kid took 8 hours finished at 3 am and called him and said CHEF I GOT IT...and was one decimal place off...also ive had friends say its like 8.1 or something lbs...which sounded off....now either andy is incredibly smart and knows his stuff...or thats not the correct answer...but it sounds good lol
Old 10-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
One cup of raw rice, cooked in 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water, will produce 2 cups of cooked rice. One cup of uncooked long grain white rice weighs 6 3/4 ounces. There are 16 ounces in a pound. You can do the math from there.

Kwia-Chang Caine say, "You can never have too much rice."
Old 10-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #7
Everymom

Andy IS incredibly smart! However, it is not such a tough problem for someone who has cooked a lot. If you've cooked for a lot of people, chances are you have made that much rice a time or two. PRACTICALLY, it is easy.

The hard part is doing the theoretical math. If THAT is what you're looking for, you might be better looking on a math whiz site. LOL.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingSoul
...now either andy is incredibly smart and knows his stuff...or thats not the correct answer...,

cookingSoul, please let me know as soon as the chef gives you the correct answer whether I'm incredibly smart or wrong. The suspense is killing me.

My calculations are all based on the premise that cooked rice is three times the volume of uncooked. If that's wrong, so is my answer.

Also, I didn't realize I was doing your homework, I thought I was helping with a practical situation.

Looking forward to your response, good luck in class.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Can you give us the question as it was asked? It seems

as if some information is missing.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Assuming 1 part raw produces 2 parts cooked I figure you will need

wait, let me think it over again.