"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 07-17-2007, 01:09 AM   #31
Sous Chef
I feel like some dessert now..something very chocolatey..mmmmm
I have room now...now would be good...very good mmmm

Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:05 AM   #32
Sous Chef
Hello Survivor Girl

I only make deserts, on special occasions too. Sometimes, I also make them on Sunday.
I watch my waistline. I like looking slim, as much as I like eating.

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #33
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
To me, any meal must be honored at the end with a sweet note.
Most of the time, fruit is the sweet that finishes our meals.
However, I prepare a dessert at least once a week.
It can be a cake, something simpler or a fancier but I believe this helps make life sweeter and educates my girls' taste with more than just ice cream or cookies.
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are" Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #34
Head Chef
Originally Posted by SurvivorGirl
I was just wondering is having dessert every night (or close to it) more of an American thing to do?
I don't know about it being an American thing. Growing up (in the US), we nearly always had some sort of dessert. As we moved away from home, both my parents, myself, and my siblings went to--for the most part--having dessert only on special occasions. My sister--the only one of us siblings with children--has regressed to dessert each day. So, anecdotally, I would say that dessert in the US is mostly for families with children. On the other hand, my grandparents had some sort of dessert each night of their long lives. So, my conclusion is that having dessert after meals has to do with whether you have children, whether you've been raised in the early 1900s, if you are having a meal celebrating a special occasion, or if you want some. Personally, I enjoy dessert, but I like dinner more. When faced with the choice of more dinner or having dessert, the dessert must be extraordinarily appealling to win out. I will admit, though, to enjoying a bit of fruit some time after dinner. (Note: Being a Yankee, I know that pie is for breakfast!)
"To be broke is not a disgrace, it is only a catastrophe." -- Nero Wolfe/Rex Stout
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:59 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Originally Posted by mudbug
really, elfie - do you want to be on your deathbed wishing you'd eaten more fruit cocktail?
Well, I now know what dessert isn't!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks - my hips thank you too! Since it's not going to be fruit cocktail anymore I guess I'll have to go for the chocolate with chocolate topping on a plate of chocolate with a side of chocolate sauce!

And, having lived in America MOST of my life we hardly ever had dessert - I think it's an individual thing versus anything else.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #36
Assistant Cook
I make something sweet at least once a week. Normally we eat a small piece after supper and I'll send the rest with dh to work the next day to share. I just enjoy baking and trying new recipes, but I don't want the sweets hanging around tempting me.

olehippy is offline   Reply With Quote