How often do you make (and have) dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SurvivorGirl

Sous Chef
This isn't an accountability thread (or not supposed to be) I was just wondering is having dessert every night (or close to it) more of an American thing to do?
at our house we only have dessert for special occasions (i.e. birthdays, thanksgiving - not so much at christmas though) and the occasional day when i feel like making something extra. but over all not that often.
Then I come on the forum and look at the "what's for dinner?" thread and desserts always on the menu (i don't keep track though).
Anywho, just wondering:chef:

I have a small dessert most nights. Usually chocolate or rice pudding. Sometimes some homemade cookies and milk. Once is a while it's an after dinner drink.

You pose an interesting question. When I was much, much younger, the thought of having a meal without dessert was unthinkable. I had an incredible sweet tooth, especially for chocolate.

When I was a young mother with 5 children, I always made a cake of some sort on Monday, with the hopes it would survive until the weekend. Many times it did. Yeah, right.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now that I'm older, I find that my sweet tooth has waned and I favor sweets a lot less. However, I still am a lover of chocolate and prepare some sort of chocolate "delight" late in the week for us to enjoy.

If there's no dessert goodies in the house, I often grab a handful of chocolate chips to satisfy my sweet/chocolate desires. Buck is deleriously happy with a handful of candy corn. It's his favorite of all time.

We have something just about every day..With kids and grandkids in and out, eating here more often than not..How can I look into the eyes of four little ones and say no dessert today Ma didn't have time:ohmy: Never! Sides I don't have to eat it, just bake it!!!:LOL:

kadesma

I always have a sweet tooth since young. I make desserts especially cookies and cakes every other day for breakfast, lunch and teatime. The days when I do not have the time or too lazy, will settle for store-bought ones. DH and I seldom take dessert during dinner since we go for a lighter meal unless of course when we are dining out or during special celebrations at home.

We always end our meal with something sweet. On weeknights it is usually some fruit with a couple of cookies for the kids. On the weekends, I try to make something.

We usually have something sweet for dessert every night too. When I was young, our family rarely had desserts - maybe once or twice a month. So when I got out on my own, I started having something good after dinner every night and I've never stopped.

I have an insatiable sweet tooth and about always have some baked goodies in the freezer, but I almost never serve them after a dinner meal. I rarely/never serve dessert when it is just DH and me. He has blood glucose issues and does not tolerate simple sugars. I sometimes serve dessert when guests are here for meals, but it depends on who is over for the meal. Some friends appreciate not having the temptation. Some friends gleefully enjoy them.

That said, the only dessert of mine that DH will eat is home made ice cream. And he eats that after a meal to dilute the sugars in his body.

I try to make a cake or dessert once a week, just to have something sweet in the house. Usually eaten later in the evening, never after meal.

My newest found dessert is; a Kahlúa over some good vanilla ice cream. Great for those hot nights of summer.

Growing up, my grandparents always had some sort of a dessert everynight; my Mom never had much of a sweet tooth and did not always make something (could be the financial circumstances then too). I make something usually for special times or for company; I much prefer a savory snack over anything sweet.

Only on holidays as a regular "thing". Even when DGS is here for dinner, we don't have dessert. DH likes something sweet often so we keep ice cream in the freezer. Desserts are the very last things I will cook.

Actually we never eat dessert.

OK, If there is a tasting menu in a restaurant or a fixed price dinner that serves a dessert we will eat it. And generally enjoy it.

But we do not have sweet toothes at all.

Would much rather have a savory dish than a sweet one.

Guts said:
My newest found dessert is; a Kahlúa over some good vanilla ice cream. Great for those hot nights of summer.

Amaretti or creme de menthe are also great over ice cream.

I don't fix dessert very often, but DH is a chocoholic, so there's usually some sort of chocolate around. Oreos are a favorite, but chocolate milk works, too.

I don't enjoy baking very much, so we rarely have dessert; also, in general I prefer savory dishes to sweets. Sometimes we have ice cream in the summer, but not right after dinner. I go out to dinner with friends every Wednesday and we sometimes order a dessert to share, which I enjoy, but it's not a regular thing for me.

I have dessert a lot more often than I make it. If I see something in the store that catches my eye, like that 10-inch lattice topped apple pie for $4.98 for example, I will pick it up and, usually, add it to my lunch menu. It would be too labor intensive for me to make an apple pie, especially during the week, and I doubt if I could do one for $4.98!

We have dessert a while after dinner most every night - usually fruit. The only time I don't eat dessert is when we eat dinner out. Those meals are too big to have dessert also and I don't want to be stuffed.

Pretty much never except for holidays/special occasions.

Neither of us are very into sweets, so except for fruit, we rarely even think about dessert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom