How often do you "play with your food?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
There is a lot of talk about recipes, and how to do things, and it is very helpful. But... sometimes I get into a mood to do something that just crops up in my somewhat bent head. It is kind of like swinging the bat, knowing you might hit a home run, or just a single, and might even strike out.

Does anyone else here sometimes just try something that seems like a good idea, knowing that it could end up as food for the dog, or even worse?

CD

Two equal but opposite scenarios put me in that situation.
1) When I go shopping and start picking up things that I'd never seen , tried or heard of before.

2) When I have little in the house, and I kinda have to make due with what i got available.

Ive hit home runs in some case and others got fed to the chickens.

Sometimes, when cooking like that, I don't pay too much attention to what or how much of whatever ingredients Im using, and if I actually liked what I did, I may not be able to repeat it again.

Also, on occasion, my family " Chops' me, like the show on the food network. They'll pick out a few crazy ingredients while shopping ( that I have no idea what they are getting) and then I have to make something edible with what they got.

Oh, there is that 3rd situation, called " Cleaning out the fridge", where anything and everything is game. Gotta get rid of it before it spoils. Thats when the creativity really kicks in. Many times, some of my better concoctions, but once again, never written down or remembered, so its usually a one time wonder.

Does this count as "playing with our food"? received_10102255932625213.jpg

Seriously though I try new things a few times a year. Even make up my own things. Ive never made anything the cats won't eat.

Sometimes, when cooking like that, I don't pay too much attention to what or how much of whatever ingredients Im using, and if I actually liked what I did, I may not be able to repeat it again.

I can identify with that. I've hit a few home runs, and of course, didn't write anything down while cooking. So, I have to try to make some notes after the fact, and hope for the best.

CD

I do that a lot. I've got quite a collection of Penzeys spices and homegrown fresh herbs, so I'll look at stuff and decide what I'm in the mood for. I always have basics like onions, garlic, bell peppers, different cheeses, potatoes, pasta and rice in the house, so I generally just mix them up and prepare them in different ways. I keep tasting and adding till I'm happy with it. I can't remember the last time I made something we couldn't eat.

The other night I wasn't feeling to hot. So I asked Pirate to cook me up something light. He made up a small individual pouch of Success rice cooked in chicken stock and a small amount of garlic along with a bit of frozen petite peas. Just enough for a small bowl full that fed two of us. We often do this. Spur of the moment cook up what is on hand. And it usually turns out to hit the spot.

Food is the sand of my playground.

Playing with food and hitting some home runs from time to time is a process/skill I wish to develop. It would be cool to be able to just take whatever is on hand and make something good with it.

Do you think you just develop a sense of what should work over time by doing lots and lots of cooking or is there some short cuts to make the learning process quicker and more successful?

Since I have the know how, what and how most ingredients work and act in food, I seldom follow recipe unless I want something specific.

I can also repeat the good stuff I done with out recipe.

Playing with food and hitting some home runs from time to time is a process/skill I wish to develop. It would be cool to be able to just take whatever is on hand and make something good with it.

Do you think you just develop a sense of what should work over time by doing lots and lots of cooking or is there some short cuts to make the learning process quicker and more successful?

Read cookbooks, all types. You will have a better understanding of using spices and herbs, what veggies are good with what protein dish. Favorite ethnic food, read a cookbook.

Just yesterday I thought about trying something different. I was thinking some Mexican, but with pasta. Then I thought, I don't think I've ever heard of any meatballs using Mexican or southwest flavors. So I made some chili sauce with Rotels, poblanos, onions, garlic, cumin, dried oregano, beef stock and chili powder. The meatballs were made with ingredients typical of Mexican cuisine. Today I'll finish as a casserole with pasta and cheese, baked in the oven. I partially baked the meatballs in the oven. If it comes out well, the next time I will tweak it some to see if it can be improved.

Just yesterday I thought about trying something different. I was thinking some Mexican, but with pasta. Then I thought, I don't think I've ever heard of any meatballs using Mexican or southwest flavors. So I made some chili sauce with Rotels, poblanos, onions, garlic, cumin, dried oregano, beef stock and chili powder. The meatballs were made with ingredients typical of Mexican cuisine. Today I'll finish as a casserole with pasta and cheese, baked in the oven. I partially baked the meatballs in the oven. If it comes out well, the next time I will tweak it some to see if it can be improved.
You just made albóndigas! They make a great soup, too.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/albondigas-in-red-chile-sauce

Cool. I didn't bother doing a search, I just decided to make it using what I thought would work.

Last edited:
With just the 2 of us I like playing with food...

Last week I was going to make Parm Chicken.. Looked through the fridge, grabbed items and ended up making a Mexicanish dish... Fun with Food...

Back
Top Bottom