"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-06-2016, 03:00 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...My daughter took me to get my hair cut today and then we went out to eat. She had a pineapple pizza (YUK!)...
Did you try it? Or did you "yuck" it only because you saw it. Don't knock it unless you tried it. You're allowed to say "yuck" only if you took three bites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You don't like the pineapple and ham Hawaiian pizza? Oh, that's my favorite!
I like them. Not my favorite "like", but we used to get them when were in in OH. A chain out of Columbus (Donatos) offers one with ham, pineapple, almonds, and a dusting of cinnamon. Our son wanted to try it. We said "WHY?" But when we all tried it, we liked it.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:37 AM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I try out two new recipes a month...most of the time I fall back on quick and easy favorites. Right now I am working my way through a Mexican Cookbook.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:47 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Did you try it? Or did you "yuck" it only because you saw it. Don't knock it unless you tried it. You're allowed to say "yuck" only if you took three bites.

I like them. Not my favorite "like", but we used to get them when were in in OH. A chain out of Columbus (Donatos) offers one with ham, pineapple, almonds, and a dusting of cinnamon. Our son wanted to try it. We said "WHY?" But when we all tried it, we liked it.
I don't like pineapple. In any form. The acid is too much for me. And I simply cannot stand the texture of pineapple against my teeth.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:52 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

For me it is the list of ingredients. Too many ingredients, or very expensive ones, I don't even consider it. And since I prefer to bake more than cook the main meal, I look at desserts more often. And for desserts, if there are too many complicated steps, I let that one go by also.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
But the recipes are for home cooks, so that is also a factor. Ease of preo, time it takes, etc. I develop a lot of the recipes in my head before I take them to the kitchen.
Right, but since it's your job to develop recipes, of course you try lots of new ones. It's not the same.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Right, but since it's your job to develop recipes, of course you try lots of new ones. It's not the same.
I take exeption to that. I may get paid to test and develop recipes, but I am a home cook. The fact I get paid is because I am creative in the kitchen, have years' experience as a gardner and a very refined pallete and happened to connect with a company that needed s/one like me, doesn't mean that I sometimes don't have "meh" experiences. Today I am playing with a recipe my grandma made. Yes, I am upping it with ingredients she couldn't get in that remote town 18 miles south of the Canadian border in Northern MN, but I am using baker's ratio and hoping it takes me back to her kitchen. And the instructions are sketchy.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
For me it is the list of ingredients. Too many ingredients, or very expensive ones, I don't even consider it. And since I prefer to bake more than cook the main meal, I look at desserts more often. And for desserts, if there are too many complicated steps, I let that one go by also.
That is one of the challenges I face when testing recipes--too many steps, too expensive, is there a way to simplify it? Is there a way to cut Costs? Is there a way to get this plated Faster?
Old 02-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
She doesn't "try" recipes, she "develops" recipes. Some of them come from old recipes, like her grandmother's handwritten ones.

You are demeaning her work, efforts and intelligence.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:34 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I take exeption to that. I may get paid to test and develop recipes, but I am a home cook. The fact I get paid is because I am creative in the kitchen, have years' experience as a gardner and a very refined pallete and happened to connect with a company that needed s/one like me, doesn't mean that I sometimes don't have "meh" experiences.
I don't understand what you take exception to. I agree with all of those things. All I'm saying is that, when you say you try 10-15 new recipes a week, it's because you're developing them as part of your job. While you're a talented home cook, you're not doing that as a home cook. You're doing it as a professional.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
She doesn't "try" recipes, she "develops" recipes. Some of them come from old recipes, like her grandmother's handwritten ones.

You are demeaning her work, efforts and intelligence.
Actually, I'm complimenting her

The question is, "how often do you *try* a new recipe," not "how many recipes do you develop for pay."

Tags
recipe