"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Actually, I'm complimenting her

The question is, "how often do you *try* a new recipe," not "how many recipes do you develop for pay."
If you had been following her past posts, you would know that she is trying old recipes. She has her grandmother's recipes and is trying to decipher them. Some are without directions. Only a list of ingredients. Whether she gets paid or not is not the point. She is trying out old recipes. Family recipes.

You insult her efforts and then tell us you are complimenting her. You can't have it both ways. No wonder she has taken umbrage with what you are saying to her.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

I try alot more recipes than I develop. Often I try one component...will this vinaigrette carry the flavour Profile? How difficult is it to poach a perfect egg Yolk? What I don't do is try someone else's recipe...I didn't colour in the lines as a child, either. I use recipes for inspiration, but I doubt a person could figure out my start point when tasting the final product. That's how I have always cooked. I don't make the same thing twice... Too many things to make, not enough time.:-o 3

Old 02-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If you had been following her past posts, you would know that she is trying old recipes. She has her grandmother's recipes and is trying to decipher them. Some are without directions. Only a list of ingredients. Whether she gets paid or not is not the point. She is trying out old recipes. Family recipes.

You insult her efforts and then tell us you are complimenting her. You can't have it both ways. No wonder she has taken umbrage with what you are saying to her.
Did you not sleep well, Addie? You sound like you could use a nap.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
For me it is the list of ingredients. Too many ingredients, or very expensive ones, I don't even consider it. And since I prefer to bake more than cook the main meal, I look at desserts more often. And for desserts, if there are too many complicated steps, I let that one go by also.
I too will skip over a recipe with too many ingredients if I'm just looking for something to try. I will work with it if I'm after something specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
That is one of the challenges I face when testing recipes--too many steps, too expensive, is there a way to simplify it? Is there a way to cut Costs? Is there a way to get this plated Faster?
I like this approach. I've done the same on my own, partly for simplicity, but more often because there is an ingredient that I simply don't care for. If I can make a substitution, or if it's something that won't really be missed, I run with that.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Did you not sleep well, Addie? You sound like you could use a nap.
I sleep very well. I don't take naps. When I get up in the morning I am up until late at night. I require very little sleep. But thank you for caring about my health. You are most kind.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #36
Head Chef

I Love taking naps
And I love trying new recipes too.
Some are written, some trying to duplicate something i had at a restaurant. Usually the latter, I try to do as soon after I had it, before I forget how it tastes.
Ill often, while eating something at a restaurant that I like, write the recipe on my phone ( while at the restaurant) just trying to get a rough draft in my head for when I get home and actually try to make it.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #37
Master Chef

I "try" new recipes BUT most times I use them (as Cap'n Jack says) as "guidelines". Sometimes I look at it and say HMMMM family won't like that ingredient so I toss it or exchange it for another ingredient.

I also don't make the same dish twice UNLESS it is a standard comfort dish etc. (IE chili, meatloaf, chicken soup ...) that family ask for often.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, I am paid to play with recipes. And yes that is fun. But that doesn't mean you can't play with your food. And love having the prof photographer Take pics of what I cook look amazing. She makes everthing look so frigging good. You'd think I was a good cook looking at her pics.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Yes, I am paid to play with recipes. And yes that is fun. But that doesn't mean you can't play with your food. And love having the prof photographer Take pics of what I cook look amazing. She makes everthing look so frigging good. You'd think I was a good cook looking at her pics.
I think it's a dream job I have no doubt you're a good cook.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:50 PM   #40
Sous Chef

I apologize to everyone because I should have been clearer. I was just asking about recipes people hadn't made before. But I don't think it matters whether you're making new recipes you haven't tried before or experimenting with old ones you haven't tried before, it comes to the same thing in the end. And if you're getting paid to make new recipes like CWS, you're doing what the rest of us are doing, just on a larger scale. Same difference.

I'm a big fan of easier and cheaper, but now that I broke the bank with all those spices that stare at me accusingly every time I walk into the kitchen, I look for recipes that need lots of "things" in them, but only as long as I have them, can afford to buy them if I don't, and will use them again.

Unfortunately, saffron's out.

Tags
recipe