"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Perhaps you could translate the recipe into English for those of us who don't understand Turkish.
Sure...

It's not that difficult I think. Apart from the fact that chickpeas need to be cooked a long time, but you already know that.

Let me try;

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup chickpeas
1 kilogram lamb meat WITH bones
2 chopped onions
3 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP tomato paste
1/2 TBSP red pepper paste (made from red chili peppers and salt)
hot water (amount not specified)

Preparation;

1) Put water and chickpeas in a pot the evening before (water should be about 5 cm above the surface of chickpeas), and bring to a boil. Simmer a little and then turn off the heat.

2) Next day, cook the chickpeas until soft

3) chop onions and saute a few minutes, add meat and cook a few minutes more until juices evaporate. Add tomato paste and red pepper paste, cook a few minutes more. Then add HOT water, the water should rise above the surface of the meat. Cook/simmer until meat becomes tender.

4) When meat is tender (2 hours I think) add the chickpeas and cook 5 minutes more, and add salt.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
Senior Cook

This dish is typical Middle Eastern, not particularly Turkish. I hope I won't be disappointed. I will let you know how it turned out. I think I'm going to use some stock instead of water for more intense flavor.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
I'd remove the lamb from the stew, cut it into serving-sized pieces, discard the bones, and return the meat to the bowl with the chickpeas.
I agree with this. Looking at the recipe, maybe on a bed of couscous with some preserved lemon?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
Certified Cake Maniac

It also depends if you are putting a serving dish on the table and letting people serve it themselves, or making the servings yourself. But I would tend to serve the pieces of lamb in one bowl and the stew in the other and let people put it in their bowl/plate as they fill comfortable. If that makes any sense at all.

If you look at the single serving in the picture, they have the peas with the lamb on top.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Update: The chickpea/lamb dish was good, but I completely forgot to add salt. I had only added salt to the meat at the beginning. I had to bring salt to the table. The red lentil soup was great as always. And the Turkish "choban salad" (= shepherd's salad) was fantastic.

I strongly recommend the shepherd's salad. It consists of green peppers (seeded), cucumber, tomatoes, sliced onion, parsley, mint, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

Salt the sliced onion and squeeze in your hands to get rid of the bitterness. Then wash and dry with a paper towel. Dice all vegetables small and put in a bowl. Prepare the dressing; combine extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and salt. Put the salad in the fridge for an hour. Pour the dressing over the salad when ready to serve. This is a very refreshing and tasty salad.

You can also add radish or red onion but this is optional.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #16
Head Chef

Sounds like what's sometimes called a Greek Salad in the U.S.

In the recipe, is the red pepper paste the same as harissa?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Sounds like what's sometimes called a Greek Salad in the U.S.

In the recipe, is the red pepper paste the same as harissa?
Hi Scotch,
Turkish and Greek cuisine are very similar. To be honest I don't even know what harissa is. Sounds Arabic...

Oh and I see that I made a mistake. I should have said: pour the dressing over the salad when ready to serve. I have editted my message...
Old 02-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I found the recipe for Turkish red pepper sauce:

What do I want to cook today?: Turkish Red Pepper Sauce

I buy it though..