How should I serve this dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
Somebody is coming over for dinner tomorrow. I found a Turkish "lamb stew with chickpeas" recipe. But I don't know how to serve this, since the lamb has bones. Should I take out the lamb (with bones), and serve it on a separate plate?

On this site is an image of the dish: portakal ağacı: etli nohut (yahni)

Thanks in advance.....

That looks really delicious! I think you can serve the lamb the way it is (with bones). It should be tender enough to eat easily...you could bone it first, but you would lose the flavor from the bones cooking.

Thanks MexicoKaren, I think I wasn't clear. I mean can I leave the lamb (with bones) in the dish? How do you eat this when the lamb with bones floats in the chickpea stew? I hope it doesn't become a mess. LOL, I'm such an amateur..

I'd remove the lamb from the stew, cut it into serving-sized pieces, discard the bones, and return the meat to the bowl with the chickpeas.

Yep, I think Scotch has the best answer. I was thinking of chicken stews, where full pieces of chicken are included, bones and all. I'm not familiar with the cut of lamb you are using, so I guess it would be safer to do as Scotch recommends. At any rate, it looks really tasty, so enjoy!

Perhaps you could translate the recipe into English for those of us who don't understand Turkish.

It depends who you are serving it too. I would be happy serving the dish with bones in it. Just don't mind when people remove the bones. It is probably worth providing a dish for discarded bones.

Perhaps you could translate the recipe into English for those of us who don't understand Turkish.
Sure...

It's not that difficult I think. Apart from the fact that chickpeas need to be cooked a long time, but you already know that.

Let me try;

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup chickpeas
1 kilogram lamb meat WITH bones
2 chopped onions
3 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP tomato paste
1/2 TBSP red pepper paste (made from red chili peppers and salt)
hot water (amount not specified)

Preparation;

1) Put water and chickpeas in a pot the evening before (water should be about 5 cm above the surface of chickpeas), and bring to a boil. Simmer a little and then turn off the heat.

2) Next day, cook the chickpeas until soft

3) chop onions and saute a few minutes, add meat and cook a few minutes more until juices evaporate. Add tomato paste and red pepper paste, cook a few minutes more. Then add HOT water, the water should rise above the surface of the meat. Cook/simmer until meat becomes tender.

4) When meat is tender (2 hours I think) add the chickpeas and cook 5 minutes more, and add salt.

This dish is typical Middle Eastern, not particularly Turkish. I hope I won't be disappointed. I will let you know how it turned out. I think I'm going to use some stock instead of water for more intense flavor.

I'd remove the lamb from the stew, cut it into serving-sized pieces, discard the bones, and return the meat to the bowl with the chickpeas.

I agree with this. Looking at the recipe, maybe on a bed of couscous with some preserved lemon?

It also depends if you are putting a serving dish on the table and letting people serve it themselves, or making the servings yourself. But I would tend to serve the pieces of lamb in one bowl and the stew in the other and let people put it in their bowl/plate as they fill comfortable. If that makes any sense at all.

If you look at the single serving in the picture, they have the peas with the lamb on top.

Update: The chickpea/lamb dish was good, but I completely forgot to add salt. I had only added salt to the meat at the beginning. I had to bring salt to the table. The red lentil soup was great as always. And the Turkish "choban salad" (= shepherd's salad) was fantastic.

I strongly recommend the shepherd's salad. It consists of green peppers (seeded), cucumber, tomatoes, sliced onion, parsley, mint, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

Salt the sliced onion and squeeze in your hands to get rid of the bitterness. Then wash and dry with a paper towel. Dice all vegetables small and put in a bowl. Prepare the dressing; combine extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and salt. Put the salad in the fridge for an hour. Pour the dressing over the salad when ready to serve. This is a very refreshing and tasty salad.

You can also add radish or red onion but this is optional.

Sounds like what's sometimes called a Greek Salad in the U.S.

In the recipe, is the red pepper paste the same as harissa?

Sounds like what's sometimes called a Greek Salad in the U.S.

In the recipe, is the red pepper paste the same as harissa?
Hi Scotch,
Turkish and Greek cuisine are very similar. To be honest I don't even know what harissa is. Sounds Arabic...

Oh and I see that I made a mistake. I should have said: pour the dressing over the salad when ready to serve. I have editted my message...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom