"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #91
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I wasn't a fussy eater. However, I detested (and still do) canned peas. One day my mother noticed that I was more than happy to eat fresh peas. After that, she never served canned peas, just fresh or frozen.
One of my faves as a kid was Mushy peas. SO GOOD. But, I can relate on the canned peas. While some mushy Peas are indeed from a can, they taste nothing like the canned peas I am sure you are referring to.

I think it is strange too that kids seem to gravitate towards strange colored foods. . . I am not sure that they still have it, but the rage like 15 years ago for kids was ketchup that was green, or purple. kids LOVED it. Kids eat purple things, florescent looking things(think Cheetos), and just some strange things based on just the color.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #92
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
This kind of "the government will protect you from yourself" mentality is not just New York. Here on the West Coast we associate this kind of thinking with San Francisco. If anything I think NYC is just becoming more like SF, or maybe vice versa, or both.

When it comes to food I think of it is "mommy-state" run wild. Eat slowly and chew your food carefully. We'll protect you from the evil fast food franchises.

When it comes to smoking in public I don't know. I did smoke about 30+ years ago and I quit. I'm sorry I ever started. It appears that it didn't totally wreck my health but it could have, and does for many--particularly those who can't or won't quit. Back when I smoked I never smoked around people who didn't like it. I understood that restaurants were not good places to smoke. Even when I was a smoker I couldn't condone smoke while I was eating.

Unfortunately not all people are considerate. If something isn't illegal then they take it as their right to do it whenever they want, and if somebody else doesn't like it then tough sh**. Those are the people who made it inevitable that smoking would become outlawed in the workplace and in public spaces. Fine, if you won't be considerate because the law doesn't require it, then we'll just change the law and now it's illegal for your inconsiderate behavior.

In my recent experience of temporary residences I've resided at places where charcoal barbecues and smokers would get you thrown out.

I still think people should be free to eat what they want and restaurants should be free to serve up whatever poison their customers want. I like the idea that restaurants must furnish dietary information. Let the customers decide.

If we're going to legislate healthfulness then we should prohibit all tobacco and alcohol. Yet we already tried the illegalization of alcohol and the experiment failed. Currently many sates are experimenting with legalization of pot (with IMO poor results).

This leads me to wonder that maybe the government is a poor choice when it comes to controlling our behavior. Maybe we've reached the point of having too much government...
Patting yourself on the back?? I and everyone I know smoked in public because it was always excepted. No one ever thought not to because it was not a issue.

Your shoulder should be hurting by now with all that "patting yourself on the back".

Old 06-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Patting yourself on the back?? I and everyone I know smoked in public because it was always excepted. No one ever thought not to because it was not a issue.

Your shoulder should be hurting by now with all that "patting yourself on the back".
I remember when it was normal for people to smoke in elevators!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #94
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I remember when it was normal for people to smoke in elevators!
And on airplanes!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire

or airplanes? man, can you remember the stench of that recirculated air? or being seated in the last non-smoking row?

strangely, i always liked the smell of cigars or pipes.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #96
Chef Extraordinaire

In the interview on NPR, the author explained how her kids moved from eating "beige" to eating the foods (the kids get a 4-course meal) offered at school. Parents in France cannot send a packed lunch--the cost for the lunch at school is .20 to $7.00.
Parents who can afford it, pay something like $7/lunch, parents who can't, pay as little as twenty cents. Part of the curriculum is teaching kids about the value of the foods they are eating.

And, could it be that obesity has replaced smoking?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #97
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Elevators didn't have a "no smoking" section.

BT, I never noticed the smell. I was making it.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:23 AM   #98
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The author was interviewed on NPR. It was quite interesting. She had moved to France with her 2 young children and they had to learn to stop eating beige (the kids) and eat the food offered at school. I don't eat snacks--could this be why I still wear the same size I wore in high school????

What is Beige?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #99
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
What is Beige?
I am pretty sure it is just a term, like when people say "oh, it's so vanilla", meaning, meh, run of the mill, neither bad, nor exciting. . . basic, almost boring.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

norwegians eat a lot of white or off-white food. they can have an entire feast of just whitish things.

you'd think in a country that get loads of white snow they might think about a caprese salad now and again, but nope. ole and sven ain't going for it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, nyc