"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
yes, old news, but do you know abput the new speakeasies that are popping up? you can get extra salt and 20 oz. sodas, but for a price.
i can see a future where people pray for snow storms so they can follow the salt spreader trucks around with containers of french fries.
Calcium chloride is generally not recommended for human consumption.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

[QUOTE=Steve Kroll;1144749]How about this (published two months ago)?
New evidence of harmfulness of second-hand smoke: Cancer causing agent present in gaseous phase of cigarette smoke

So they found a new component in cig smoke that is carcinogenic...So whats new?? it's well documented that the stuff will kill those who smoke!!

"Evidence has shown secondhand smoke to be as dangerous as primary smoke due to its impact on the cells of the body"

I need to see more evidence/science that is peer reviewed to buy into this notion by someone who doesn't have an Ax to grind, or is doing funded research for those who do. ...If I'm locked up in a bathroom all day, everyday with two smokers..maybe so.

Walking the (air polluted) streets of NY City...How does one tell what causes a/the problem...Air Pollution

I smoked in my early years...Quit 30+ years ago. Can't stand to be around the things.(or anybody who does) Is a very nasty habit. Agree...don't want to sit in a public place with those who choose to smoke....Not because I'm fearful of second hand smoke...I just can't sand to smell the things.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #23
Executive Chef

There has been a lot of work expended in scientific studies proving (or trying to prove, depending on whether you believe the studies) that second hand smoke is harmful to the health of those exposed to it. The basic problem is that no non-smoker should have to breathe other peoples' smoke, but it's difficult to restrict the freedom of those who smoke just because other people don't like it. Thus the effort to prove it's a health threat.

In an ideal world people who smoke would never inflict their smoke on people who don't want it. Unfortunately in the real world there are many smokers who could care less, and some who even like inflicting smoke on non-smokers. As a result the effort has been (1) prove that second hand smoke is harmful to health, and (2) make smoking illegal in public places.

That has pretty much happened now, and AFAIK most of the country has made smoking illegal in public places.

Salt does just not measure up as an issue. The idea of outlawing salt in food preparation is equivalent to outlawing smoking in private areas. I wish people would not smoke at all, but if they want to do it at home then it's certainly none of my business.

And it's none of the state's business to tell restaurants that they can't use salt. Customers are free to request their food to be prepared without salt, and most restaurants are likely to cooperate. I order french fries no salt without any problem at fast food joints.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
With respect to exercise for the little darlings, there should be a drastic cutback in school busing programs.
Biking to work is fine if you have access to shower facilities but impractical during most inclement (precipitation) weather.
I have seen bycylists who wear a slicker set in rainy weather. The most danger for them is not only the cars, but sliding on falling wet leaves.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #25
Senior Cook

His newest idea is to limit how much soda a restaurant is allowed to give you (no more than 24 oz, I believe).

Also, it is illegal to smoke in public places (even a park outside) in NYC.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbuter View Post
His newest idea is to limit how much soda a restaurant is allowed to give you (no more than 24 oz, I believe).

Also, it is illegal to smoke in public places (even a park outside) in NYC.
Fine by me. I put up with NYC for 54 years (the first 25 being somewhat pleasant). Unfortunately the arrogant mentality of NYC is spreading to many other areas of the USA.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
I would vote for Bloomberg.
A great many people truly wish you could.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #28
Executive Chef

[QUOTE=Uncle Bob;1144807]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
How about this (published two months ago)?
New evidence of harmfulness of second-hand smoke: Cancer causing agent present in gaseous phase of cigarette smoke

So they found a new component in cig smoke that is carcinogenic...So whats new?? it's well documented that the stuff will kill those who smoke!!

"Evidence has shown secondhand smoke to be as dangerous as primary smoke due to its impact on the cells of the body"

I need to see more evidence/science that is peer reviewed to buy into this notion by someone who doesn't have an Ax to grind, or is doing funded research for those who do. ...If I'm locked up in a bathroom all day, everyday with two smokers..maybe so.

Walking the (air polluted) streets of NY City...How does one tell what causes a/the problem...Air Pollution

I smoked in my early years...Quit 30+ years ago. Can't stand to be around the things.(or anybody who does) Is a very nasty habit. Agree...don't want to sit in a public place with those who choose to smoke....Not because I'm fearful of second hand smoke...I just can't sand to smell the things.
Your olfactory receptors must be more sensitive than old blue's. Hope you do not get some neighbors that get their noses out of joint about wood smoke or burning leaves.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #29
Executive Chef

This kind of "the government will protect you from yourself" mentality is not just New York. Here on the West Coast we associate this kind of thinking with San Francisco. If anything I think NYC is just becoming more like SF, or maybe vice versa, or both.

When it comes to food I think of it is "mommy-state" run wild. Eat slowly and chew your food carefully. We'll protect you from the evil fast food franchises.

When it comes to smoking in public I don't know. I did smoke about 30+ years ago and I quit. I'm sorry I ever started. It appears that it didn't totally wreck my health but it could have, and does for many--particularly those who can't or won't quit. Back when I smoked I never smoked around people who didn't like it. I understood that restaurants were not good places to smoke. Even when I was a smoker I couldn't condone smoke while I was eating.

Unfortunately not all people are considerate. If something isn't illegal then they take it as their right to do it whenever they want, and if somebody else doesn't like it then tough sh**. Those are the people who made it inevitable that smoking would become outlawed in the workplace and in public spaces. Fine, if you won't be considerate because the law doesn't require it, then we'll just change the law and now it's illegal for your inconsiderate behavior.

In my recent experience of temporary residences I've resided at places where charcoal barbecues and smokers would get you thrown out.

I still think people should be free to eat what they want and restaurants should be free to serve up whatever poison their customers want. I like the idea that restaurants must furnish dietary information. Let the customers decide.

If we're going to legislate healthfulness then we should prohibit all tobacco and alcohol. Yet we already tried the illegalization of alcohol and the experiment failed. Currently many sates are experimenting with legalization of pot (with IMO poor results).

This leads me to wonder that maybe the government is a poor choice when it comes to controlling our behavior. Maybe we've reached the point of having too much government...
Old 06-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #30
Head Chef

What Uncle Bob Said.

Tags
food, nyc