"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
How to?

Well I finally did it! I managed to melt some of the plastic wrap from corn tortillas on ceramic glass top burner on my stove.Does any one know I Im going to get it off?

__________________

__________________
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,362
Razor blade?
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Monroe, Michigan
Posts: 5,912
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
How about -" Goo Gone " ! (works on a lot of things)
__________________
Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
AllenOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Razor blade?
That's what I was going to suggest.
__________________
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
A razor blade is definitely the way to go.

From a Sunbeam appliance manual:


Plastic or foods with a high sugar content:
• These types of soils need be removed immediately if spilled or melted onto the ceramic cook-top surface. Permanent damage (such as pitting of the cook-top surface) may occur if not removed immediately. After turning the surface elements OFF, use a razor blade scraper or a metal spatula with a mitt and scrape the soil from the hot surface (as illustrated). Allow the cook-top to cool, and use the same method for heavy or burner on soils.
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
I keep a little plastic scraper with a razor blade set in next to my stove all the time and I'm embarassed to say, it gets a lot of use. I don't have a ceramic cook top but I sure burn a lot of things onto other things. I also keep Goo-Gone and Goof-Off in the kitchen. (I even keep extra floor tiles to replace the ones I manage to burn, although that hasn't happened in about a year. I take that as a sign my kitchen skills are improving!)
__________________
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom
I keep a little plastic scraper with a razor blade set in next to my stove all the time and I'm embarassed to say, it gets a lot of use. I don't have a ceramic cook top but I sure burn a lot of things onto other things. I also keep Goo-Gone and Goof-Off in the kitchen. (I even keep extra floor tiles to replace the ones I manage to burn, although that hasn't happened in about a year. I take that as a sign my kitchen skills are improving!)
Floor tiles.....as in on the floor.....at your feet? As in hard rock or ceramic type tile? How did you manage to burn a floor tile? I didn’t know tile could be burned!

Or are you using the tiles as trivets or something?
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
Floor tiles.....as in on the floor.....at your feet? As in hard rock or ceramic type tile? How did you manage to burn a floor tile? I didn’t know tile could be burned!

Or are you using the tiles as trivets or something?
I laid commercial vinyl tiles in my kitchen so yeah, they do burn. Only the white ones show the burns - (next time all black instead of black and white checkerboard). Anyway, my old stove went all the way down to the floor and I seemed to have a lot of fires in the broiler. If I didn't notice it right away, the flames would burn the tiles around the stove. Then a friend told me that you're supposed to leave the broiler door cracked open while in use on old stoves. I don't know if that was it but when I redid my kitchen recently, I got a stove that is raised up on legs so there's a space between the bottom of the oven and the floor. I haven't had any fires yet, but then again, I've been afraid to use the broiler!
__________________
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom
I laid commercial vinyl tiles in my kitchen so yeah, they do burn. Only the white ones show the burns - (next time all black instead of black and white checkerboard). Anyway, my old stove went all the way down to the floor and I seemed to have a lot of fires in the broiler. If I didn't notice it right away, the flames would burn the tiles around the stove. Then a friend told me that you're supposed to leave the broiler door cracked open while in use on old stoves. I don't know if that was it but when I redid my kitchen recently, I got a stove that is raised up on legs so there's a space between the bottom of the oven and the floor. I haven't had any fires yet, but then again, I've been afraid to use the broiler!
Ohhhhhh, ok, Vinyl tiles!

I’ve also hear you should leave the door cracked or even open when broiling. I usually don’t but then again, I rarely ever truly broil (500+ degrees). When I “broil”, I usually just switch the oven from bake to broil so that the top element (electric oven) come on and brown the food really well.

It sounds like your unit had a separate broiler compartment unlike the oven I’ve got that combines baking and broiling in the central cavity and a storage drawer underneath?
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Thanks every one I found the solution I used the glass stove top cleaner I always use it worked like a dream the melted plastic came off in seconds.
__________________

__________________
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.