How to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:mad: :mad: Well I finally did it! I managed to melt some of the plastic wrap from corn tortillas on ceramic glass top burner on my stove.Does any one know I Im going to get it off?:wacko:

A razor blade is definitely the way to go.

From a Sunbeam appliance manual:

Plastic or foods with a high sugar content:
• These types of soils need be removed immediately if spilled or melted onto the ceramic cook-top surface. Permanent damage (such as pitting of the cook-top surface) may occur if not removed immediately. After turning the surface elements OFF, use a razor blade scraper or a metal spatula with a mitt and scrape the soil from the hot surface (as illustrated). Allow the cook-top to cool, and use the same method for heavy or burner on soils.

I keep a little plastic scraper with a razor blade set in next to my stove all the time and I'm embarassed to say, it gets a lot of use. I don't have a ceramic cook top but I sure burn a lot of things onto other things. I also keep Goo-Gone and Goof-Off in the kitchen. (I even keep extra floor tiles to replace the ones I manage to burn, although that hasn't happened in about a year. I take that as a sign my kitchen skills are improving!)

Fisher's Mom said:
I keep a little plastic scraper with a razor blade set in next to my stove all the time and I'm embarassed to say, it gets a lot of use. I don't have a ceramic cook top but I sure burn a lot of things onto other things. I also keep Goo-Gone and Goof-Off in the kitchen. (I even keep extra floor tiles to replace the ones I manage to burn, although that hasn't happened in about a year. I take that as a sign my kitchen skills are improving!)

Floor tiles.....as in on the floor.....at your feet? As in hard rock or ceramic type tile? How did you manage to burn a floor tile? I didn’t know tile could be burned! ;)

Or are you using the tiles as trivets or something?

keltin said:
Floor tiles.....as in on the floor.....at your feet? As in hard rock or ceramic type tile? How did you manage to burn a floor tile? I didn’t know tile could be burned! ;)

Or are you using the tiles as trivets or something?
I laid commercial vinyl tiles in my kitchen so yeah, they do burn. Only the white ones show the burns - (next time all black instead of black and white checkerboard). Anyway, my old stove went all the way down to the floor and I seemed to have a lot of fires in the broiler. If I didn't notice it right away, the flames would burn the tiles around the stove. Then a friend told me that you're supposed to leave the broiler door cracked open while in use on old stoves. I don't know if that was it but when I redid my kitchen recently, I got a stove that is raised up on legs so there's a space between the bottom of the oven and the floor. I haven't had any fires yet, but then again, I've been afraid to use the broiler!

Fisher's Mom said:
I laid commercial vinyl tiles in my kitchen so yeah, they do burn. Only the white ones show the burns - (next time all black instead of black and white checkerboard). Anyway, my old stove went all the way down to the floor and I seemed to have a lot of fires in the broiler. If I didn't notice it right away, the flames would burn the tiles around the stove. Then a friend told me that you're supposed to leave the broiler door cracked open while in use on old stoves. I don't know if that was it but when I redid my kitchen recently, I got a stove that is raised up on legs so there's a space between the bottom of the oven and the floor. I haven't had any fires yet, but then again, I've been afraid to use the broiler!

Ohhhhhh, ok, Vinyl tiles! :LOL:

I’ve also hear you should leave the door cracked or even open when broiling. I usually don’t but then again, I rarely ever truly broil (500+ degrees). When I “broil”, I usually just switch the oven from bake to broil so that the top element (electric oven) come on and brown the food really well.

It sounds like your unit had a separate broiler compartment unlike the oven I’ve got that combines baking and broiling in the central cavity and a storage drawer underneath?

Last edited:
;) Thanks every one I found the solution I used the glass stove top cleaner I always use it worked like a dream the melted plastic came off in seconds.

Back
Top Bottom