"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-02-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Senior Cook

How to clean cast iron with food gunk.

I just used my new cast iron stove top grill, ya know the kind where one side is flat and the other ridged. I now have burned food build up on it...day old and cold and hard.

How do I clean cast iron, i have read that i am not supposed to use soap; but can i use a metal scrubber?

Old 06-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
Cook

Try putting some water on it and letting it soak. Then use a plastic scrubby to dislodge it. You can also try some lemon juice and salt to scrub it with. Since it is new, even if it is a pre-seasoned grill, you may just have to get it off and then re-season with oil and heat--which you need to do anyway each time you use it.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Jessica...

The key word in your question is "New" cast iron grill....The more you use the grill the more seasoning it will aquire just from everyday use. This seasoning is what causes the cast iron to be, over time virtually none stick. Those few times that food does stick it is best to remove it ASAP and not allow it to sit and get hard. Caution! Do not take a hot piece of cast iron from the stove to cold water in the sink. More times than not it will cause the iron to crack. While the grill is still slightly warm, go to the sink and use HOT water and a wash cloth or a plastic scrub pad.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Oops! Miss Jessica

You did "season" the new grill before use right? If not start over and season the iorn per the manufacturer's instructions...

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Master Chef

An effective method for cleaning cast iron with cooked on food is to burn it off. That is, the next time you are grilling outside, throw your grill onto the cooking grate after you are done cooking. The intense heat (should be 550 F. to make this work) will have the same effect as does a self-cleaning oven. After letting the heat do its work for about 15 minutes or so, let the grill cool, along with the pan. Then the ash residue is easily cleaned off. Oil the pan again and store it.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I scrub mine with a wad of aluminum foil. Love cast iron - wish I had taken my grandmother's when it was offered to me years ago. Little did I know what a treasure it would have been.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Executive Chef

what uncle bob says should do it.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
to clean cast iron, heat your pan/grill over med-high heat for a few minutes. While its heating get yourself some coarse salt, a pair of tongs, an old towel, and a little bit of the cheapeast cooking oil you have. Pour enough oil on to cover the surface of the pan. It should smoke a little bit, but not burn. Sprinkle some coarse salt (no more than 1/4 cup) onto the pan. Then, with a heavy towel or oven glove pick up the pan and with the other hand pick up your old towel with your tongs. Now use the old towel to scrape the salt around the inside of your pan and scrape it against the food bits. They should come off with just a little work.

I prefer doing it this way, because not only does it get the job done, but it keeps your pan well oiled and well-seasoned.

Rule number 1 of cast iron: keep it away from water!
Old 06-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #9
Cook

Clean the outside of the pan with commerical oven cleaner. Let set for 2 hours and the accumulated black stains can be removed with vinegar and water.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:41 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I would say rule # 1 is keep it away from soaps. #2 if you must use water, make sure it is dang HOT and scrub pan quickly. dry well and oil llightly.

The salt system works very well. (assuming you didn't make cinnamon sugar fried apples in the pan)