"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I think the food temperature you cook it at makes a difference but I'm undecided about where on the issue I fall. I'd rather see more discussion on what is best, before making up my mind (and of course I'll have to cook the variations and decide for myself which is best).

Old 05-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
Cook

We take our steaks right from the fridge and put them on the grill. I have never seen a restaurant kitchen bring their steak to room temperature before cooking... ever.

Also, I do NOT like to season my steaks whatsoever until it is seared. Most seasonings, especially salt, only act to extract juices from the raw meat on contact. When the service side is seared, that is when we season the meat. I have done it this way ever since my chef instructor in cooking school told me to do it that way, because it made sense to me. However, a few other chefs I have worked with over the years have disagreed with me on this, so it is certainly not a universal belief amongst professionals.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
Half Baked

I would bring to room temp for a foreman type grill since they don't cook as hot as an outdoor grill. My belief is cook a steak as hot and fast as possible. I also like my steaks med to med well which makes a difference.

If you are marinating with teriyaki or other thin marinade you need at leat sevral hours for the marinade to work. I like straight soy sometimes but only go 30-45 minutes with that because of the high salt content. Dry rubs, I like to apply when they come out of the fridge and let sit 15-20 minutes or more while the fire comes to temp. It aint rocket science and no matter what you do will probably come out fine while you figure out what works best for you and your equip.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCrummyApartment View Post
We take our steaks right from the fridge and put them on the grill. I have never seen a restaurant kitchen bring their steak to room temperature before cooking... ever.
I can image the look on the health inspectors face if he saw a bunch of steaks on the counter warming up.

Quote:
Also, I do NOT like to season my steaks whatsoever until it is seared. Most seasonings, especially salt, only act to extract juices from the raw meat on contact. When the service side is seared, that is when we season the meat. I have done it this way ever since my chef instructor in cooking school told me to do it that way, because it made sense to me. However, a few other chefs I have worked with over the years have disagreed with me on this, so it is certainly not a universal belief amongst professionals.
I am going to go out a limb and guess that is the most common way for restaurants to cook steak. That is why for me most restaurant steaks are bland and boring.

After reading this article and I started cooking steaks this way it is rare for me to order a steak in a US restaurant.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
I am going to go out a limb and guess that is the most common way for restaurants to cook steak. That is why for me most restaurant steaks are bland and boring.

After reading this article and I started cooking steaks this way it is rare for me to order a steak in a US restaurant.
Well I don't know. I am rather proud of the steaks I cook in the business. And I can honestly say I have had some amazing steaks at restaurants too, so "bland and boring" is not something I would associate with a good restaurant. I mean they have to be doing something right, no?

The article you ref'd is interesting to say the least. I agree that salt extracts moisture but to "massively salt your steaks 1 hour before" seems crazy to me... and then the article follows with "rinse the steak really well to rid of all the salt", which is so outrageously poor handling of fresh beef that I tend to discount the rest of the article.

That being said, since I have never doused my steak in salt before, so I am thinking to try a side by side test this week at work, using some of the recommendations on that page... but we wont be giving the steak a bubble bath before cooking!!!

Thanks for the article!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Well I don't know. I am rather proud of the steaks I cook in the business. And I can honestly say I have had some amazing steaks at restaurants too, so "bland and boring" is not something I would associate with a good restaurant. I mean they have to be doing something right, no?
I to have some really amazing steaks in restaurants. Bonefish Grill in Orlando makes a great steak. One place here in Cali, Colombia serves some that are mind blowing. But most in the US leave me disappointed. Any steak taken form the fridge thrown on the grill seasoned on one side during cooking will most likely leave me disappointed.

Quote:
The article you ref'd is interesting to say the least. I agree that salt extracts moisture but to "massively salt your steaks 1 hour before" seems crazy to me... and then the article follows with "rinse the steak really well to rid of all the salt", which is so outrageously poor handling of fresh beef that I tend to discount the rest of the article.

That being said, since I have never doused my steak in salt before, so I am thinking to try a side by side test this week at work, using some of the recommendations on that page... but we wont be giving the steak a bubble bath before cooking!!!

Thanks for the article!
The first time I read it I also was sure that she was crazy. My thinking was that they would be less juicy since moister is drawn out. But right after I saw some cheap ribeys and decided to give it a try. I was impressed enough to change how I cook steaks.

I would be very curious about your side by side test. Lets face it that is the real test. You would be using the same meat, heat seasonings, everything. You you do need to rinse the leftover salt off or they will be very salty. After I rinse off the salt I pat them dry before putting on the grill. At that point they are not pretty.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
Senior Cook

you have to watch the 4 hrs at a temp from 40-140. 1 hr to cook a steak means you can have it out at least 2 hrs. it really helps to cook more evenly.

done the salt trick many times. its fine, i just brush off the salt. something alittle different.

i season the meat, s & p, a good hr ahead. salt isn't going to pull out that much moisture. Cooking at a very high heat does more damage cause it causes the meat to tighten up and "squeeze" out the water/moisture. I like a 275-300* smoker to cook my steaks. don't get the crust from searing, but it produces a steak that we like the best.

it's all a matter of opinion. if your family likes it, don't change.

I also don't order steak at a restaurant cause we like our steaks better. i like to order seafood cause i'm out here in bfe and don't get it as much.

to each their own. have a good week everyone!