How to cook rice with cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
how much rice should be added and how much water should be added to get the best taste of rice? I trusted the theory that if one cup of rice is added to the cooker, one and a half cup of water should be added and if two cup of rice is added, then two and a half cup of water should be added, the water added should be proportional to the rice added but it is not true. When I added three cup of rice to the cooker and 3.5 cup of water, then rice became very watery. I often cook rice but it often turns out to be a matter of guess. Is there any rule about the proportion of water and rice added to the cooker

I get good results with these ratios but I use a saucepan:
American long grain rice - 1 part rice to 1.5 parts water
Jasmine/Basmati rice - 1 part rice to 2 parts water

The owners manual that came with your rice cooker probably has advice to help you use that particular appliance successfully

I agree with 40 cal.

Manual is the best bet.

I never cook any rice except long grain white rice. I use 1 cup rice to 2 cups water.
Comes out perfect every time.

You know this subject gets much attention at times. My parents always used 1 cup rice and two cups water.
I have never looked at the package directs since. Its always the same for me and the rice is always just right.

I never use a rice cooker. I use the stove top with a heavy sauce pan.

I don't precisely measure the amount of water unless I'm making wild rice. With my particular cooker with 2 cups of white rice, for instance, I fill water about 1/2" above the rice. I use my finger tip as a gauge.
I learned this from watching my mother make rice every day.

Last edited:
I've found anything from 1:1.5 to 1:2 works fine for me in my cooker. I usually split the difference, or go 1:2 if I want it stickier.
My cooker calls for a twenty minute soak, which I do, but do not rinse.

I use the 1 cup rice / 2 cups water ratio also. I cook mine in a heavy-bottom pot with this tight-fitting lid. Perfect every time. The trick for me is to turn it down to the lowest setting and let it cook for @ 15 minutes once I have added the rice.

My cooker is 1:2. Love my rice cooker, I don't have to pay attention to it. I should have set it up for quinoa this morning. Darn it!

Obviously there are many variables. My rice cooker makes perfect rice 3cup to 3.5 cup water, for both Parboiled Long Grain rice and Jasmine rice. One comes out perfectly separated grains, moist soft and not even a hint of stickiness, just the way I like it. And jasmine rice comes out perfectly sticky like in a good Chinese restaurant.
I guess the only way is to keep experimenting.

I've been plagued with sticky rice my whole life. Latest trick I've heard is to coat it in a bit of oil first and then boil it. Haven't tried it yet but hopefully it'll help. I don't like sticky rice.

Back
Top Bottom