How to defrost salmon without the sogginess?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ni68ana

Assistant Cook
Hi all,

We love salmon in our family, and it's important for us to have only free and not farmed salmon. The only way to get free salmon where we live is frozen though, and here's the problem - every time I've tried to defrost salmon it comes out super soggy and meh and just... sad. Bears little resemblance to the fresh but farmed kind, to the point where we don't even like it anymore.

The defrosting methods I've tried include just moving it from the freezer to the fridge for a day or two, or putting it in a watertight bag and letting the bag soak in roomtemp or warm water for a little while. Either way the end result has been soggy bleh salmon swimming in a pool of thawed icewater. And then I don't know what's worse - squeezing and massaging the poor filet until the water comes out, or just giving it a couple shakes and then cook it as is? Either way, sad salmon has been the result until now.

I know there must be a better way - help!
Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

Freezing breaks cell walls and releases moisture, so there's no way to avoid that. After thawing, I put fish filets between paper towels and try to remove as much moisture as possible that way. Good luck.

Freezing breaks cell walls and releases moisture, so there's no way to avoid that. After thawing, I put fish filets between paper towels and try to remove as much moisture as possible that way. Good luck.

+1... This works well for me also...

Welcome to DC, ni68ana.. :)

Ross

Not sure what your options are for sources, as I googled your location and it looks like you are in Portugal. The rate at which food is frozen has an impact on quality. A slower freeze generates larger ice crystals, which breaks down the food. A different source might have a better method of freezing, but any frozen food will not have the same texture as fresh.

When Clarence Birdseye was in Labrador in the early 20th century he learned from the local population that food frozen in the dead of winter was superior to food frozen in months not as cold, as it froze at a faster rate. He went on to develop freezing methods and commercialized frozen foods in this country. Read "Birdseye" by Mark Kurlansky for the full story (an enjoyable read).

Last edited:

+2, to what GG and Ross said. I thaw frozen fish and seafood in paper towels as well. Sometimes it takes a full day, but it's worth it to me.

Welcome to Discuss Cooking, ni68ana. :flowers:

Thanks all :) Sounds like the paper towel method is the way to go - I'll give it a shot!

Back
Top Bottom