How to get a clean cut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of desserts? Some you can just refrigerate so they solidify somewhat then cut. Others need a pastry knife or a bread knife with a sharp serrated edge.
More info please!

You could try putting a little neutral flavor oil on your knife. Also if the recipe calls for greasing the pan, then make sure you don't skip that step...

Sometimes just a little water on the knife will help. If the product is cold like cheesecake, warm the knife in some water first.

For sushi, I keep a clean damp folded towel next to my board. After each clice, I wipe the knife off both sides.

That may work for your desserts too.

I have to admit, I have a hard time with pies that have a top crust, brownies, and softer desserts that have a harder top. I have several knives I use to cut, one is a serrated knife, one is more like a fillet knife, and I have a pastry knife that works pretty good on cakes.
Like everyone said, clean after every cut. Hot water dip for cold items, a little cold water for other thins, and lots of practice! LOL.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. To my eye, slight irregularities in shape, cut edges, etc., are a sign of homemade goodies, which I'll take over store-bought perfect-looking products every time.

The one thing that no one has mentioned is sometimes chilling briefly can make things easier and you really need the right, sharp knife for the job.

Some things like lemon bars and cheesecake can be cut using a length of dental floss

hmmmmmm I can see myself doing that hehe:ROFLMAO:

For sushi, I keep a clean damp folded towel next to my board. After each clice, I wipe the knife off both sides.

That may work for your desserts too.

I wipe sometimes but its boring to cut wipe cut wipe:wacko:

I have to admit, I have a hard time with pies that have a top crust, brownies, and softer desserts that have a harder top. I have several knives I use to cut, one is a serrated knife, one is more like a fillet knife, and I have a pastry knife that works pretty good on cakes.
Like everyone said, clean after every cut. Hot water dip for cold items, a little cold water for other thins, and lots of practice! LOL.

I'd never thought you'd say that:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thanks for the tip

The one thing that no one has mentioned is sometimes chilling briefly can make things easier and you really need the right, sharp knife for the job.

will try thanks

I wouldn't worry about it too much. To my eye, slight irregularities in shape, cut edges, etc., are a sign of homemade goodies, which I'll take over store-bought perfect-looking products every time.

you really don't wanna see how mine turns out:ROFLMAO::(

Hey I did mention that!! Chilling to firm it up before cutting, maybe I worded that wrong ;)

ok thanks lol

Back
Top Bottom