How to get Burnt Smell out of Microwave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hopz

Senior Cook
Wife somehow got 20 seconds to be 20 minutes in the microwave, on a plastic tray of au gratin potatoes.

Once the flames were out, and the smoke gone... we were left with a "smokey" smelling microwave. We have cleaned up the unit and all around the kitchen, but there remains a pretty powerful aroma of smoke and burnt.

Have sprayed everything in sight with Febreze, wiped all down with every cleaning product existant in the hemisphere, microwaved a plate of coffee grounds, same with baking soda and boiled a cup of vinegar...

What else to try?

oh dear!

I`m afraid it`s a case of;

1) stripping it all down and cleaning every internal section (not really viable unless you`re experienced in MV tech)

2) Time, in which case it will fade but could take a year +

3) Chemical warfare against the Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons present in there, Halogen (chlorine, Bromine etc...) gas will break them down, but will also corrode the metal(s).

and if as you say, had to put a Fire out in there, I think I would throw it away and get a new one (after I stripped all the good bits out).

PCAH`s are Born of Fire, Ergo: they don`t break down that easily :(

EDIT: IF you did want to go the Halogen route, the HCl + Chlorox bleach in a cup will liberate Chlorine, you can use Na-DCCA or plain DCCA as well, but you will need the HCl (hydrochloric acid) cement cleaner AKA Muriatic acid.

Last edited:
Try a bowl of vinegar first. Put it in and close it up for a while.
Then try filling the microwave with newspapers, crumpled up. You might even soak the papers in vinegar.
Then try a product called Odor-no.
Finally call a restoration company and ask if they have something that will work.

I burnt popcorn , I washed it out first with just sudsey water and a rag and then wiped it down with white vineger , then put a saucer of baking soda in overnite and in the morning fresh smelling microwave.

The vinegar; lemon juice and baking soda solutions all work well.:)

Microwave cleaning

This link has loads of hints and tips.
The one for softening brown sugar is spot on.:)

Back
Top Bottom