"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-11-2007, 12:10 AM   #11
Sous Chef
Fair enough. and thanks for answering.

I agree with the other posters, however, that a food processor would be one of your best bets. That, or an old-fashioned clamp grinder with several attachments ... maybe even in conjunction, the grinder first, the processor second?

Good luck.

XeniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:11 AM   #12
Senior Cook
Since you are hesitant about purchasing a food processor, my first thought was a food grinder, the metal kind you can attach to your kitchen counter with no problem. I think I've seen them at Amazon and other places that sell kitchen equipment. As said previously, they come with several disks, depending upon how finely you want to grind something. You could start with the larger discs and regrind through the smaller ones to get the consistency you wanted. These heavy food grinders, which operate under your own power rather than electrical, do an excellent job. I still use mine several times a year.
Good luck!

Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer
Have you considered a mortar and pestle? It would take a LOT of work, but it would get you the consistency you are looking for.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:25 AM   #14
Executive Chef
I think you need a food processor. I have burned up many a blender and found an excellent quality food processor at a discount type (Service Merchandise) department store for about $100. a few years ago.

Also, I have two recipes for grain based food for trail food if you are interested. One I make and the other my BIL makes for DH and him for when they go hiking. The one BIL makes is called "food bricks" and may have come out of a Boy Scout book.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #15
Sous Chef
You can get a Black and Decker FP for under $50. It was rated by Fine Cooking as a good economical FP, up against the big boys.

Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote