How to grind something thick finely

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntbsnthlrchn

Washing Up
I asked something similar to this around here before, but I haven’t found a satisfactory solution yet. I need to grind something as thick as ground beefabout as fine as peanut butter.I just busted my blender again, for good this time I think. Will a peanut butter mill do that, or will it clog?Would a better blender work? I can get one like this http://cgi.ebay.ca/KITCHENAID-Ultra-Power-5-Speed-Blender-Onyx-Black_W0QQitemZ280065890848QQihZ018QQcategoryZ20668QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem for 169$ locally.I don’t think I’d be able to afford a food processor that could handle it.. At least the ones I’v seen around here are too flimsy or too expensive.I’ve heard suggestion of a meat grinder but I don’t think there’s any way that would grind finely enough, even putting it through twice.

A food processor would work fine....I'd add a dash of water or stock at the end to assist in the consistency.

A blender would never work because the blade is too small at the bottom of a narrow space. A food processor gives you a much larger blade with a bigger work surface.

I do think the addition of liquid at the end will yield the results you desire.

ntbsnthlrchn said:
I asked something similar to this around here before, but I haven’t found a satisfactory solution yet. I need to grind something as thick as ground beefabout as fine as peanut butter.I just busted my blender again, for good this time I think. Will a peanut butter mill do that, or will it clog?Would a better blender work? I can get one like this http://cgi.ebay.ca/KITCHENAID-Ultra-Power-5-Speed-Blender-Onyx-Black_W0QQitemZ280065890848QQihZ018QQcategoryZ20668QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem for 169$ locally.I don’t think I’d be able to afford a food processor that could handle it.. At least the ones I’v seen around here are too flimsy or too expensive.I’ve heard suggestion of a meat grinder but I don’t think there’s any way that would grind finely enough, even putting it through twice.

Make sure all the beef is separated, add water to the processor, and add the beef to it slowly.

Well you don't actually tell us what it is that you are grinding. It may help to know that.

GB - I would venture to say that he is still trying to make this to take on a hiking/ski/camping type trip. He's trying to combine everything into one thing when it comes into food.

I'd say a food processor will be your best bet. I still don't understand why you aren't happy with another source of protein.

GB and elf something is going on here I don't understand. But that is nothing surprising.

Agree GB. have no idea what the question is.

Well, ntbsnthlrchn - your question has been answered in every thread you have started ... based on the information you have provided. But, I'll try to make one more attempt to answer all of your questions in general:

If you want to grind nuts into "butter" - then get a nut grinder/mill. No - a flour mill and a nut mill are NOT the same!

If you want to grind several things into a fine "mush" - get either a meat grinder with a "Fine" plate and blades - and run your mix through several times ... OR ... use a Food Processor.

A typical home "Food Blender" (has blades in the bottom of a tapered cylindrical container) is intended for soft very liquid foods - think in terms of pureeing an already cooked soup or something like a malted-milk drink (like a chocolate malt). If you have a commercial "fountain" style blender it "might" work to a degree ... but still not as well as a food processor. Yes, a blender will (depending on the make/model) crush ice for drinks - but they require a lot of liquid to do it.

How much would a suitable food processor cost? A blender was doing it BTW, it wasn't a flow problem.... then I got all ambitious and tried a double batch.... just the motor didn't provide enough torque. It was a 450 bottom of the line job. A "crushmaster".

Last edited:
Would you please answer GB's question and tell us what, exactly, you need to grind?

Ayrton said:
Would you please answer GB's question and tell us what, exactly, you need to grind?
Well, if you must know
27 oz 776g (before cooking) 15% grgound beef (cooked)
94.25 g (that's about 3.3 oz) of skim milk powder
3.92 oz trail mix
1.94 cup or about 1.94 oz spinach
0.5 cups water for grinding purposes can be up to 2 cups

or I could cut it into a half-batch
But don't go suggesting alternatives.

BTW for all you naysayers - I did succeed in making a nutritionally complete stew, but it was hard to digest.... tasted good, though. And I think the psycological aspect of not eating any solid food was not acceptable, either (I ate it for 4 days...). But I still think it would be cool, so I'm shooting for a soylent-green type stuff. Leave out the spinach and it actually tastes pretty good, I succeeded in making one batch before my blender broke.

Fair enough. and thanks for answering.

I agree with the other posters, however, that a food processor would be one of your best bets. That, or an old-fashioned clamp grinder with several attachments ... maybe even in conjunction, the grinder first, the processor second?

Good luck.

Since you are hesitant about purchasing a food processor, my first thought was a food grinder, the metal kind you can attach to your kitchen counter with no problem. I think I've seen them at Amazon and other places that sell kitchen equipment. As said previously, they come with several disks, depending upon how finely you want to grind something. You could start with the larger discs and regrind through the smaller ones to get the consistency you wanted. These heavy food grinders, which operate under your own power rather than electrical, do an excellent job. I still use mine several times a year.
Good luck! :)

Have you considered a mortar and pestle? It would take a LOT of work, but it would get you the consistency you are looking for.

I think you need a food processor. I have burned up many a blender and found an excellent quality food processor at a discount type (Service Merchandise) department store for about $100. a few years ago.

Also, I have two recipes for grain based food for trail food if you are interested. One I make and the other my BIL makes for DH and him for when they go hiking. The one BIL makes is called "food bricks" and may have come out of a Boy Scout book.

You can get a Black and Decker FP for under $50. It was rated by Fine Cooking as a good economical FP, up against the big boys.

Back
Top Bottom