"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 05-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by FoodAddict View Post
...Basically, I want to take fresh tomato's and make them into tomato sauce. Nothing more, nothing less and no other ingredients then the tomato's. Except for a little bit of citrus to help stop it from going bad...

That's not what I got from this sentence. Bolding is mine.

The problem is that a can of tomatoes all mushed up is called tomato sauce and a pot of the stuff you put on pasta is called tomato sauce.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #12
Master Chef
Unless you live somewhere where tomatoes can be grown year-round, fresh tomatoes are very bland and tasteless this time of year. Unless the tomatoes come from my garden or a farmers market, I always use top quality canned tomatoes for sauce. They are much more flavorful.

Also, your sauce will be very bland if you use only tomatoes and nothing else. Consider salt at the least. Even a little bit will improve the sauce a lot.

I'd also suggest freezing rather than canning. Canning can be tricky, plus it's time consuming and expensive compared to freezing.

Chef June has given you a good method to use.

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
Head Chef
National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Can Tomatoes
Support bacteria. It's the only culture some people have.
mcnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #14
Head Chef
Tomatoes,(preferably roma) 1 clove garlic minced, 1 small onion minced, basil leaves torn, S&P... That's it, if you want i'll send particulars, too tired now... Have fun..
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #15
Sous Chef
Cooked carrots
Chopped tomatoes
A splash of lemon
Honey or sugar adds a nice touch to it, but not necessary
Chopped and fried Garlic
Chopped and fried onions
A few spoonfuls of wine

Chop tomatoes and cook in wine
Add carrots,Lemon, Honey, Salt, Dried herbs
Heat and then puree

Serve with pasta, fresh herbs and a sprinkling of cheese and olive oil. Freshly ground black pepper is also good to put on it too.
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
This is going to sound crazy, but I found a great tomato sauce recipe a few weeks ago online somewhere - I forget where off the top of my head, but boy did it turn out great. The only ingredients were 1x 28oz can of tomatos (I usually get the $5 a can Italian ones), 5T of butter, and a half a onion.

Put the tomatoes in a pot with the butter and the half of an onion. Simmer for 45min - 1hr or so (crushing the tomatoes periodically). When the time is up, fish out the half of the onion, and throw it away. Add a pinch of salt if you like, and it turns out great.

Luckilly, I don't have any Italian family, because they would probably disown me for cooking tomato sauce like that, but hey - it tastes great, is simple, and is quick enough to do after work on a weeknight.

I don't, however, have any experience in canning it, so I can't say if it would be suitable for that purpose.

rlogan is offline   Reply With Quote