"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-27-2005, 12:06 AM   #11
Master Chef

I come from an area of the U.S. where Cornish and Finnish settlers came and stayed. They brought with them a dish called Pastie. I would think this is the same as your pasty.

My mother made these for us and used a standard pie crust recipe. I altered her recipe by substituting soup base for the salt. So I can tailor the flavor of my crust by changing the soup base. For a filling that contains chicken for instance, I use chicken soup base rather than salt in the dough mixture. I might also add herbs such as Sage of Thyme to the flour before mixing. For a traditional pastie, we use very course grind lean beef, onion, potato, rutabega, fresh garlic, and sometimes carrot, seasoned with salt and pepper, and wrapped in a flavored pie crust. All ingredients are pre-cooked before placing in the crust. The pastie is then baked until cooked through and golden brown.

Hope this helps make your pasty more flavoful. Do not use a yeast crust.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:32 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to msalper
I thank every one of you...
I will try again to make pasty dough by your instructions.
And also I found web sites tells what I want to make... I linked them below... I can understand now, because of their apperance, I used wrong butter or oil... In every recipe, butter is different than I used. Lard or vegetable. I use our traditional butter that made from cow milk.

Now I'm searching for a best vegetable fat I can use.

Maybe it can be a idea for you what kind of dough that I try to make is in the link below.

http://www.westcornwallpasty.co.uk/
From here, click the galery and you will see...
http://www.cornish-links.co.uk/pasty.htm#recipe
This is the one that I want...

Old 06-27-2005, 05:06 AM   #13
Executive Chef

In place of lard, the veg alternative in the UK can be bought under the trade names of Trex or Spry. Haven't bought either of them for many years, though
Old 06-27-2005, 05:52 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Do you know the ingredients of them. What kind of vegetable? So Maybe I can choose closest one in here our market.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:12 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I think Spry and Trex are types of solid vegetable oil which Americans call 'shortening'? BUT, don't quote me on it. They are very white coloured blocks of solid, but quite soft, fats.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #16
Master Chef

Welcome to the site, msalper! Here is a recipe that is at least 3 generations old in my family. The original recipe is as typed and my grandma's changes/additions are in parenthesis:

Pasties

Filling
1 lb cubed beef (approx.)
1 lb cubed pork (approx)
1 carrot diced (optional)
3 medium onion, diced (4)
4 medium potatoes, diced (6)
3 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
6 Tbsp cold water (optional)
2 Tbsp melted butter (pat margarine)

Crust
3 c flour (4 c)
1 c shortening (1 ¼ c lard)
1 tsp salt
½ c cold water (add slowly—may not need full ½ c)

Mix filling well in large bowl. Divide into 6 equal parts. Mix crust like piecrust dough. Divide into 6 equal parts. Roll out to size of a 9” dinner plate. Put filling on ½ and pull other half over filling. Seal. Make 3 slashes in the top. Bake at 425F for 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 375F for 45 minutes.

(Make sure shortening/lard are at room temperature. Put an additional pat of butter on top of the filling.)
Old 06-28-2005, 11:10 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies. They were very usefull. Yesterdey I made my last try about pasty. And...........it was successful
Pasty Dough
3 C. flour (all purpose)
1 C. butter (It was vegetable margarin)
1 tea sp. salt
1 C. water
Fillings
750-800 gr. Sliced chicken (After boiling)
1 tea sp. Wirchestshire Sauce
1 tea sp. Salt
1 tea sp. Black Pepper
3 tb sp. Flour
400-450 ml. Light Milk
1 tb sp.Yogurt (I think you can use Sour Creme)
125 gr. butter

I mixed flour and salt. Then cut the cold margarin into flour very finely. I had to use my hands to make crust. Then I added water to give a form. And I put it in refr. for freeze. with plastic cup.

I don't know how you make it but in here we prepare a sauce called "besamel":
Melt the butter in a cup with low fire. Then add flour and stir well until it come together and after a minute it will look like crust. Then add milk(not cold) slowly and stir very well and quick. It will form like pudding and set a side.
In other small cup; mix salt, wirchestshire sauce and black pepper. Then mix it into "besamel sauce". Stir well.
Add chicken into that sauce.

I'm sure you know other steps.

Now I will try to make softer dough. It changes by amount of butter, flour. And I will add a milk instead of water.

Thank you again...
Old 06-28-2005, 11:46 AM   #18
Head Chef

We call it a bechemal sauce too. Your recipe looks good!! I'm glad you were able to make it to your taste. For a softer crust, maybe try a little bit of cream cheese along with the butter when mixing it with the dry ingredients. That will give you a softer crust when baked.