"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-25-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to msalper
How to make pasty dough?

Hi All,

I'm new in here and cooking. And I really wan to know how to make pasty dough. I don't know if anyone tastes chicken pasty from Gregg or Cornwall. I still remember the taste of "chicken pasty" and I have tried many times to make correct one. It was good for fillings but dough was not good.
What are the main ingredients for dough. Some people say "flour, butter and salt" and water. And others say without a butter is OK.

Can you help me plz?

Old 06-25-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
Master Chef

Welcome to DC, Msalper!! Someone will be here to help you very soon!!

Old 06-25-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
Head Chef

Welcome to DC msalper! =)

I recently bought this fantastic recipe book, Once Upon a Tart ..., written by Frank Mentesana & Jerome Audureau with Carolynn Carreno. It's a great read as well as a great source of pastry ideas.

They devote a whole chapter to the dough making process, which is why I picked it up in the first place. I am baking challanged & paranoid of dough in particular. =P (I can "cook" like mad though!) They go into great detail about why it's best to use a smidge of semolina flour and why it's important to use both butter and a small bit of solid vegetable shortening.

Savory Tart Crust:
2 1/2 c unbleached all-purpose flour
3 T semolina flour
1 t salt
12 T (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed
3 T cold solid vegetable shortening
A glass of ice water
  1. Position the oven racks so that one is in the center and preheat oven to 400 degrees F
  2. Put the flours and salt in the bolw of a food processor fitted with a metal blade and pulse a couple times just to integrate the flours and salt.
  3. Add the butter and shortening all at once and pulse quite a few times, until the mixture forms little balls, like moist crumbs, and no chunks of butter or shortening remain. You have to pulse, not run, the food processor. The worst thing that can happen at this stage of the crust-making game is for the flours and fats to come together in a paste. (If you don't have a fp, just use a fork or pastry tool to cut the fats into the flour).
  4. Remove the blade from the food processor and dump the dough crumbs into a big bowl. Fill a tablespoon with ice water and sprinkle it over the surface of the dough. Repeat with 3 more tablespoonsful.
  5. Use your hands or a wooden spoon to bring the dough together intoa ball, adding more water if needed, 1 tablespoon at a time. The dough should be just past crumbly, but holding together. You don't want it to be so wet that it sticks together or turns white in color.
  6. Cut the dough in half, and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Press each half with the palm of your hand to form a disk. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before rolling out.
  7. Roll out 1 disk of dough to 1/4 inch thick. Fit it into your tart pan and chill for 30 minutes. Then use the tines of a fork to prick holes over the bottom of the tart. Line the dough with parchment paper or aluminum foil, wiegh down with pie weights or dried beans.
  8. Place the tart shell on the center rack in the oven, and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and weights from the pan. Return it to the oven, and bake until the crust is golden brown and toasted all over, 5-10 minutes more for a par-baked tart shell. For a fully baked tart shell, bake for another 15 minutes at 400 degrees F or until it's golden brown all over. Remove the tart shell from the oven and set it on a wire rack to cool.
whew! Ok, I have tried doing this once. =) The flavor of the tart crust was super but I still had issues with the rolling out process. But that is just something that I'll get better with in time, I know it! Maybe that's what I should do this afternoon ...

Z
Old 06-25-2005, 02:35 PM   #4
Head Chef

I just make a regular pie dough for my pasties. Works for knish too.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:37 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Many Thanks Texasgirl and Zereh for your answers...:))

I made a dough close to your recipe, but I'm still trying to find a way for a good taste. Because my dough taste is not good at all. I have read a dough recipes from different web site.
Some of them tells about yeast pasty dough. And you told about tart dough. I'm still confusing and unfortunately I can't remember what it (chicken pasty dough) looked like. :((
Old 06-25-2005, 03:07 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I saw several recipes online for cornish pasties, but you probably want a recipe that has been tried by others on here. Perhaps Ishbel can help, she is a member on here and from the UK. There are probably others on here with great recipes as well.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:49 AM   #7
Executive Chef

This is the Cornish pasty recipe that I use - it's as close to the ones made by my friend in Mevagissey as any pasty recipe I've tried.

http://www.cornishlight.co.uk/cornish-pasty.htm

BTW - Gregg's is a chain bakery - ie it has branches all over the United Kingdom - from Cornwall in the west to the highlands of Scotland. I think their stuff is mass produced and not too good!

If you get back to Cornwall, try to find a branch of the Cornish bakers called Blewett's - much more like home made. BUT, the best way to buy them is to find a Womens Institute Friday market (usually held in WI halls or schools) and then you can guarantee that the pasties will have been made by local housewives and will taste GREAT.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Thank you very much Ishbel. But I'm not in England, in here Turkey.
So this is very difficult to taste it. Your recipe is what I already made, and fault for me. But I think it could be my mistake to choose wrong butter.
Are you sure that Greggs uses this kind of pasty dough? I mean flour, butter, salt and water. Or can it be yeast pasty dough? I'm sorry for these questions...
Many Thanks Again
Old 06-26-2005, 05:21 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I have no idea what type of dough Gregg's use, Msalper, sorry.

I don't think it could be a yeast dough as it is a pastry, not a bread-type dough.

As I've said, Gregg's are a massive chain - they are high volume, cheaper products than some of the better bakery chains.

I'm sorry I've never known a pasty to be made with a bread-like dough - but maybe Gregg's has decided on a non-traditional method?

The pastry can be made with butter or with butter AND some lard - maybe that's the difference?
Old 06-26-2005, 07:15 PM   #10
Master Chef

Freezer Piecrust

This recipe was given to me by my ex-husband's aunt. It's most tender and flakey I've ever eaten, and wonderfully convenient.

Aunt Dorothy's Freezer Pie Crust

3-1/2 cups water
small hand of salt
1/3 cup sugar
5 lb flour
3 lb butter flavor Crisco

Mix flour, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening. Mix in water. The dough will seem kinda gooey, but don't worry.Roll in 24 balls and wrap each with seran wrap. Freeze in large ziplock bags. Thaw one ball for each crust needed, (about 1 hour).
Roll out on floured pastry cloth and proceed as usual.

You can re-freeze them if you change your mind, or put in the fridge for later. They will last indefinately in the freezer.