"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I use the recipe that I think Andy posted for rice pilaf, it's seriously awesome and so simple, I make it almost weekly and my partner gets excited every time. I just use a couple handfuls of orzo, or broken up angel hair pasta. Make sure to brown the butter and orzo well.

Rice Pilaf
I pleased you guys like it. I'm sure my mom would have been thrilled to hear others like her recipe.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I use the recipe that I think Andy posted for rice pilaf, it's seriously awesome and so simple, I make it almost weekly and my partner gets excited every time. I just use a couple handfuls of orzo, or broken up angel hair pasta. Make sure to brown the butter and orzo well.

Rice Pilaf
Thanks for bringing this back up, Bakechef! And thanks for posting it, Andy!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
Master Chef

I also gave up on boxed Rice a Roni. It might be just me but it just didn't do it for me anymore, although I have nothing against packaged mixes.

Here's what I do...
Half cup of jasmine rice, half cup of orzo, browned in butter and oil. I add sliced shallots, chopped mushrooms to the saute', and then a handful of golden raisins, with two cups of rich chicken broth and one tablespoon of curry powder. Simmer covered for 15 min on low, fluff, and add some slivered almonds to the mix.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
You do need to check the directions every time. Different flavors (and brands) call for different amounts of water.
This is a very good point !

As far as the basic Rice A Roni I have never used the amount of water they say to put in. I always use 1-3/4 cup and it always comes out perfect. I do not like my rice to be "soupy" or "saucy" so that's why I put in less water.

Elevation and humidity play a part in it also I've learned in the past.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

When RAR comes out soupy, It usually means, that the simmer was too low and it usually isn't quite done yet, either. I just give it more time.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I copied Andy's recipe, too. What is a "nest of angel hair?"
Old 07-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Sometimes pasta is sold twisted into a round cluster called a nest. The angel hair nests I buy are about an ounce each.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Thanks for the pic, Andy. I have seen these in the store. I will just measure out the ounces from my box of angel hair. Would each one of those be considered a serving? That's an easy way to portion it out.

I recently read that the glycemic load of Vermicelli is equal to that of whole wheat pasta, so I would imagine that angel hair is even lower. I always use angel hair or vermicelli.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Thanks for the pic, Andy. I have seen these in the store. I will just measure out the ounces from my box of angel hair. Would each one of those be considered a serving? That's an easy way to portion it out...
As I said, two ounces of pasta to a cup of rice. I wouldn't call a one ounce portion a serving. I think three ounces is considered a serving of pasta.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #20
Cook

Thanks for that homemade recipe...

just one.. well two questions more...

What is Orzo?

And I tried this trick with Chinese fried rice with successful results, about cooking it a day in advance and re-heating it the next day. What will happen if I do that with RiceRoni?