How to measure butter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariah_tan92

Assistant Cook
Hi! I would like to ask how to measure butter I'm kinda mixed up with it, for example a cookie recipe calls for 1/2 cup of butter but I want to melt it, should I still use the 1/2 cup of butter that is NOT melted yet or do I measure it when it is ALREADY melted? :ermm:

Pls. help me! Thank you! :chef:

I was taught to measure unmelted, solid form. I can't bake, though, cause ya have to measure and I hate measuring. I make bread and "eye ball it".

IMHO, measure the solid form.

Melted or not, the measurement is the same. In my case, I simply use the scale on the side of the wrapper, place that amount in a small ceramic bowl and zap it in a microwave oven for 30-40 seconds. That saves me from having to wash any measuring cup that I might still want to use later.

A stick of butter is half a cup or 8 tablespoons. If you need, say 1 Tb, just mark the stick as if you're going to cut it into 8 equal slices and cut off just what you need.

A stick of butter is half a cup or 8 tablespoons. If you need, say 1 Tb, just mark the stick as if you're going to cut it into 8 equal slices and cut off just what you need.

Is the butter wrapper not marked in other countries? In the US it is marked in 1/8 graduations. Very convenient!

Depends on the butter vagriller. Some brands are marked here and others are not. Not sure where our OP is from (Phillipines?) but the answer is no, butter is not always marked on the wrapper.

Depends on the butter vagriller. Some brands are marked here and others are not. Not sure where our OP is from (Phillipines?) but the answer is no, butter is not always marked on the wrapper.

And some places butter doesn't come in quarter-pound sticks. So recipes that call for a stick of butter can be confusing to cooks outside the US.

And some places butter doesn't come in quarter-pound sticks. So recipes that call for a stick of butter can be confusing to cooks outside the US.

HERE HERE! Took me forever to figure out what the heck a "stick" of butter was when I started coming here. We mostly have 1lb blocks.

If that's the case I would take a stick of butter that is marked (and the wrapper was well aligned) and transfer the marks to the edge of a cutting board. Or something else with a straight edge. Then just line it up with the guide and cut as much as needed.

That would work vagriller, if the size of the stick of butter was always the same, but I do not believe they are. The European butter we have here in our grocery store is a different shape and size than the US butter so the measuring trick would not be accurate.

I'm also going to mention metric here. (OMG...please don't start a war.) I convert most of the time when I'm posting here, but really, our butter is 454g. ;)

I'm also going to mention metric here. (OMG...please don't start a war.) I convert most of the time when I'm posting here, but really, our butter is 454g. ;)

If you start mentioning metric, you have my support. Long overdue.

I use a dual U.S./Metric electronic digital kitchen scale. It saves a lot of conversion trouble.

That would work vagriller, if the size of the stick of butter was always the same, but I do not believe they are. The European butter we have here in our grocery store is a different shape and size than the US butter so the measuring trick would not be accurate.

But is the European butter a consistent size and shape? And do some of them come with graduated markings?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom