How to moisturize carved turkey slices after refrigeration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcald2000

Assistant Cook
I have a slew of carved turkey slices in my refrigerator that I want to heat up to eat, but they are very dry. I had them stored in a zipper zip lock bag, but it didn't trap the moisture or maybe they weren't so moist to begin with. How can I get the moisture back into them and is using a microwave a bad idea?
- Rob

+1 Heat it on low. It gives the turkey time to absorb some of the moisture. :angel:
On low in a microwave? Sorry for the silly question, but I have very little experience cooking. I've lived in Manhattan all my life, but now I'm forced to learn to cook. Thanks for your reply.

Use broth. I will lay the slices in broth and warm them, covered in the oven.
Very silly question I have, but would I purchase the broth? I didn't cook the original turkey; they are left-overs from my family. I have a container of chicken broth in my cupboard.

Very silly question I have, but would I purchase the broth? I didn't cook the original turkey; they are left-overs from my family. I have a container of chicken broth in my cupboard.

Not silly at all! Any broth, even a boullion cube with water will work. You can also make a gravy with the broth, whisk in a bit of flour or cornstarch. Keep stirring till it's lump-free and tastes good. You can also freeze the leftover turkey.

Microwaving in chicken broth will work just fine. Put the turkey pieces in a dish, put in some broth, cover with a paper towel or piece of plastic wrap, then nuke for a couple minutes. Check, taste, nuke some more if needed.

Last edited:
You could also buy a package of turkey gravy. There is a section in the grocery that has all kinds of mixes in envelopes and all you do is add water to the contents as directed on the package and bring to a boil. You'll end up with a pretty good gravy for your dry turkey slices.
We love helping folks here, and no question is silly, so welcome to Discuss Cooking !

Thank you to everyone for your wonderful posts. I really appreciate your time.
- Rob

Just a thought, if the turkey slices are from Thanksgiving, they are getting a bit old, and you might want to consider freezing them in a ziplock freezer bag, vaccuum seal bag, or just pitching.

The only silly question is the one not asked. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom