How To Peel A Hardboiled Egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Salting the water works just as well, and at least in my kitchen is handier.

I definitely wouldn't want anyone blowing their saliva on my egg! YUUUUUKKKK!

Personally, I don't like the idea of using unfresh eggs...

Eggs will stay fresh and edible under refrigeration for 30 days after laying according to the American Egg Board and the FDA. I don't think anyone is suggesting dangerous practices.

As an egg ages (say a week or two), it loses a little moisture and a space is created between the egg and the membrane on the inside of the shell. When you hard cook these eggs, they will peel more easily than a newly laid egg.

If you are going to make egg salad you can cut the eggs in half while still in the shell. Then scoop them out with a spoon. Works like a charm . But if you need the eggs basically whole use older eggs and follow Goodweed's instructions. I only cool the eggs in icewater until they are cool enough on the outside to handle. Then I remove the shells immediately and put them back into the ice water to cool completely. No dark yolks and the shells peel easily. But as was mentioned before, older eggs are better for hard boiling.

Eggs will stay fresh and edible under refrigeration for 30 days after laying according to the American Egg Board and the FDA. I don't think anyone is suggesting dangerous practices.

As an egg ages (say a week or two), it loses a little moisture and a space is created between the egg and the membrane on the inside of the shell. When you hard cook these eggs, they will peel more easily than a newly laid egg.

Okay, fair enough your American Standard Board, the FDA, and, your stomach. Only I have a full-time brasserie to run and the turnover of eggs for breakfast alone mean 5 dozen and that means fresh eggs every day. I am not in any way degrading by suggestion your American's food standards. But I have mine, and 2 week's "unfresh" eggs is unacceptable.

The British Food Standard's Agency is Draconian enough to put grey hairs on any professional caterer's head. We have to be so careful. And, they have inspectors who can call without notice, often when we are right in the middle of a busy morning. The Bu$$ers. :rolleyes:

Thank you, though, for the tip on peeling hard boiled eggs. Noted. :)

Linux.

...The British Food Standard's Agency is Draconian enough to put grey hairs on any professional caterer's head. We have to be so careful...

I understand the constraints imposed by your government and ours on kitchens that serve the public. As part of that public, I appreciate their vigilance.

Using 5 dozen eggs a day means you must receive deliveries of fresh eggs daily or semi-daily as storage space would probably be an issue. That's good for you and your customers.

You obviously know that all foods have safe storage lives - the length of time they are still perfectly good under proper storage conditions. As long as you maintain those conditions, there is no danger in using that food. I'm not suggesting use outside (or even close to the end of) that period.

I understand the constraints imposed by your government and ours on kitchens that serve the public. As part of that public, I appreciate their vigilance.

Using 5 dozen eggs a day means you must receive deliveries of fresh eggs daily or semi-daily as storage space would probably be an issue. That's good for you and your customers.

You obviously know that all foods have safe storage lives - the length of time they are still perfectly good under proper storage conditions. As long as you maintain those conditions, there is no danger in using that food. I'm not suggesting use outside (or even close to the end of) that period.

Thank you for what you wrote. I appreciated it. :)

The logistics of food ordering, supply and demand alone is mind boggling, and some days I suffer severe anxiety. Yes, we are fully aware that all foods do have safe storage lives. But the Use By date for our eggs means they will always be used well before expiry. Same with all dairy products because we cannot be 100% certain, even though such are labelled. For dairy produce I buy direct from farmers, will never use wholesalers, for their "Use By" dates are not to be trusted. These people supply supermarkets, and there is no surety that what is printed on packages is stated Gospel. In the food industry, there are horror stories...

I was also having problems peeling hard boiled eggs after ages doing it kinda a la Julia Child's technique and the reasons why the eggs being sold today don't peel as well is the subject of a separate thread.
So went googling and found a video on youtube by Tim ferriss entitled "How to peel hard boiled eggs without peeling".
The video is worth seeing even if you don't follow everything, as the "real" secret IMO is that he puts in a little baking soda in when boiling the eggs, have now done it this way 4 times and it works like a charm.
Here's the link and please note, I'm using a different OS so it may not work for you, if not just google Tim Ferriss and how to peel hard boiled eggs.
YouTube - Tim Ferriss - How to Peel Hard-boiled Eggs without Peeling

Okay, I have to try this right now. If it really works this is so cool. I love learning something new, especially about cooking! Will get back to you in half an hour.

Oh, I forgot one thing.. DO NOT buy the "as seen on tv" eggstractor. Trust me on this.

This is the second thread in recent days that has highlighted this method of peeling hard cooked eggs.

My only comment is, if this is how you peel your eggs, don't invite me over for any hard cooked egg dishes.

I was so excited about this method that when I was at my brothers this afternoon I showed him the technique. But he had very fresh eggs. It did not work! I was so egg-asperated!

This is the second thread in recent days that has highlighted this method of peeling hard cooked eggs.

My only comment is, if this is how you peel your eggs, don't invite me over for any hard cooked egg dishes.

DH wonders why I get him a new spoon when he tastes things and why I get him a small bowl of it...I married a double dipper.:sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom