"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Colds, flu, mononucleosis - Gee, I guess I'll just go out and collect other people's saliva so I get all that immunity.

It's upsetting that so many of the DCers seem to think this is a wonderful new way to shell hard boiled eggs.

Back to your original way of doing it, MissM, if you keep the egg under running water as you peel it, once you get the membrane started, the running water will get in between the egg and the membrane and practically blow the rest of the shell off.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #52
Cook

Zhi, I truly hope no one spits on my eggs or into the sourdough starter (there's a rumour that SF bakers do that!).
Still, the fact remains that we DO need the herd factor to boost our immunity. I don't think we need worry about getting mono from someone spitting on our eggs - it's an unlikely scenario for most chefs. If it worries you, just don't travel on a train, keep out of supermarkets and whatever you do, don't kiss anyone. Mono is not called the "Kissing disease" for nothing! :)))

Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #53
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by missM View Post
Andy, have you got any idea what goes on in most restaurants? If you did, you wouldn't eat out, if this is the way you feel:)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by missM View Post
Zhi, I truly hope no one spits on my eggs or into the sourdough starter (there's a rumour that SF bakers do that!).
Still, the fact remains that we DO need the herd factor to boost our immunity...

I do have an idea about what goes on in restaurants. Are you excusing that kind of behavior? I don't condone it or try to perpetuate it in my kitchen.

I prefer to get my 'herd factor' from a mouth of my own choosing.

Because we are exposed to bad hygiene in some places does not excuse bad hygiene in all places.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #54
Head Chef

Help. I put eggs in cold water, put a teaspoon of baking soda in, brought to a light boil, took off stove and let sit for 17 minutes. Let sit in ice bath for a long time.

I'm having a problem I've actually NEVER encountered. The egg whites are water. the yellow inside is definetely done - soft - but done. There not yolkie or anything like that.

I've never seen such a mess.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #55
Head Chef

The whites aren't done? Sounds like maybe the eggs could have been sticking out of the water a little although it seems to me that they still would have cooked. I mean how can you have cooked yolks without having cooked whites?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #56
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post
Help. I put eggs in cold water, put a teaspoon of baking soda in, brought to a light boil, took off stove and let sit for 17 minutes. Let sit in ice bath for a long time.

I'm having a problem I've actually NEVER encountered. The egg whites are water. the yellow inside is definetely done - soft - but done. There not yolkie or anything like that.

Maybe you came up with a new way to serve eggs. Now all you have to do is name it and get the rich to think it is the new trend and you are set.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #57
Senior Cook

Wink Eggciting

I think the most eggciting threads I've read on DC has had to do with eggs. >>referencing the how do you scramble your eggs thread!

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Tolkien
Old 10-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #58
Cook

Some of the thread comments here have been pretty scrambled.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #59
Master Chef

I have to think that the eggs didn't get hot enough. The white starts setting at around 170' F or so. Anything less and you are simply pasteurizing your eggs.

If your wter cooled too quickly, or there wasn't enough in the pot to create sufficient thermal mass, the water may have cooled quickly below the temperature required to set (cook) the eggs whites. Instead of completely removing the pan from the heat source, try turning it down until it no longer boils, then let it cook for about seven minutes for hard boiled. Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 10-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #60
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018 View Post

After the eggs come to a boil take them off the fire, put a lid on the pot and let them sit for 10 minutes. Then plunge them in iced water. (and now I know to add baking soda to the water!)