How To Peel A Hardboiled Egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I prefer to get my 'herd factor' from a mouth of my own choosing."

Thanks, Andy M. Well put.

Zhizara

I keep thinking of all the fatal diseases that can be transmitted via saliva like AIDS, herpes, hepatitus. Getting these diseases don't make you immune, they make you dead.

I keep thinking of all the fatal diseases that can be transmitted via saliva like AIDS, herpes, hepatitus. Getting these diseases don't make you immune, they make you dead.
You can't get AIDS from saliva unless it is in huge quantities...like gallons

The eggs I did the other day and blew 1 out while still a little warm won't do it now that they are cold.

They are still peel pretty easy to peel so the baking soda will stay in my water.

If you're worried about sloppy unsanitary blowing out of the hb eggs from shells, worry also about someones hands not being absolutely free of germs and other nasties. Every consider that (you who are worried about germs)?

I would imagine if you simply rinse the shelled hb eggs under running water, it should remove any health concerns. It's not like whatever is in your breath is going to permeate or stick to the outer layer of a hb egg.

If you're worried about sloppy unsanitary blowing out of the hb eggs from shells, worry also about someones hands not being absolutely free of germs and other nasties. Every consider that (you who are worried about germs)?...

I do worry about dirty hands as well.

I don't understand why you and others raise the issue that there are other sources of food contamination suggesting that makes it OK for spit to be on HB eggs.

I worry about all sources of food contamination.

I bet someone could easily invent (or already has) a device that holds the egg (like holding it in your hand) and a small and simple piston like pump that takes the place of someones spitty breath?

Or...just the piston pump thingy and you can hold the egg in your hand while you pump. Such a device would be cheap to produce and mark up could be profitable.

The piston pump part could even be spring loaded before hand and just a finger push would release the little piston pump and force air into the egg shell.

I'll get right on it...in my mind. It's really amazing how many patents are filed and not made it to market. The idea is there and patented. Looks good on paper I guess.

Last edited:
I think there is something called an eggstractor.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
eggstractor.jpg
[/FONT]

Here is a review I found on-line...

23 of 23 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of money, May 11, 2004
By Nicolle (Carmichael, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I am not even strong enough to use the Eggstractor, but fortunately my husband was strong enough to push the "bellows" down so at least we could try it out.
Here's a summary of our results:
We tried 11 eggs. The 12th egg I hand peeled, to make sure the eggs were cooked perfectly. Preparing the egg involves cooking it perfectly and cooling it (same as for hand peeling). Then you have to pierce the top of the egg, and perfectly crack the base of the egg, before putting it on the Eggstractor. It took me less time to hand peel the egg than it took my husband to properly "prepare" the egg for "Eggstraction." Out of 11 eggs:
* 3 came out with half of the shell still on.
* 8 basically exploded into anywhere from 4 to a dozen pieces, all with the shell still on the whites. Save your money, really!

An invention based on the hold the egg in your hand and blow hard method, no doubt.

I bet someone could come up with a simple spring loaded plunger you pull back and cock. Break the egg top, hold over the egg top and press the release trigger.

No matter what device used, how you cook the eggs is what counts for success (I bet).

I don't think anyones mentioned this, but eggs peel easier when brought to room temp (when stored in fridge).

Last edited:
:pig:Now I'll be afraid to eat anything with hard boiled eggs in it that I did not make myself. You never know who thinks its a great idea to spit all over them. NASTY!:pig:

If people would just read or watch jacques pepin or julia child they would crack the eggs after cooking in ice water ,couldn't get easier. Learn to cook people . BTW the original guy says he boils them 10-15 minutes! doesn't mention cooling! I'd hate to see/smell the blue sulpher ring on those yolksafter 15 minutes! Anyone caught spitting on my eggs is persona non grata Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom