How To Peel A Hardboiled Egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that eggs that can be peeled using this method are also the ones that are easy to peel in the normal fashion. I'd guess that if you went to the market and bought a dozen eggs then hard cooked them, less than 50% would peel this easily.

I suspect that eggs that can be peeled using this method are also the ones that are easy to peel in the normal fashion. I'd guess that if you went to the market and bought a dozen eggs then hard cooked them, less than 50% would peel this easily.
I have heard it works on every egg

Very slick, and thanks for sharing. Welcome to Discuss Cooking, you'll like it here.

You talked yourself into an assignment Andy. Report forthcoming? :LOL:

I plan hard cooked eggs about 2 weeks ahead of time. Buy the eggs, mark the cartons and put in back of the fridge. 2 weeks later I drag them out boil them up and they peel effortlessly. So, I usually have eggs in the back of the fridge that Shrek can't touch!

Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs

Does anyone have any tricks for easing the peeling of hard boiled eggs? I have tried submerging the eggs in cold water immediately after cooking but that does not consistently work. Thanks!

Does anyone have any tricks for easing the peeling of hard boiled eggs? I have tried submerging the eggs in cold water immediately after cooking but that does not consistently work. Thanks!

Welcome to DC. :)

Submerging hard boiled eggs in cold water is a good thing, anyway. It prevents the eggs from over-cooking in getting that dark ring forming around their yolks. But like you, cracking their shells afterwards is really only what I have found the best. There is no easy way I'm afraid.

Best way is to not use fresh eggs. Buy your eggs, and stash them in the refrigerator for @ 2 weeks then cook. Believe me it will be much easier.

This thread has come up before. And I gave the same advice back then. My wife taught me early in our marriage to crack the eggs all over, just after removing them from hot water, and immediately plunge them into cold water. It works every time for me. The only thing is that you have to get under that thin skin that's attached to the egg shell. After that, the shell peels away easily, leaving me with whole, intact hard or soft boiled eggs.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I agree, an older egg works best. It is definitely helpful to get cold water on them and get it to seep under the cracked shell for an easier release.

This thread has come up before. And I gave the same advice back then. My wife taught me early in our marriage to crack the eggs all over, just after removing them from hot water, and immediately plunge them into cold water. It works every time for me. The only thing is that you have to get under that thin skin that's attached to the egg shell. After that, the shell peels away easily, leaving me with whole, intact hard or soft boiled eggs.

I usually hard boil enough eggs to last a few days. If I'm not eating them right away I can't crack the eggs right? I assume cracking them and submerging them works if I am going to eat them right away. Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.

If you crack all of the eggs right after boiling, and submerge in the cold water, you can place the unused eggs in an airtight container and store in the fridge for a few days. They'll still be good. I mean, do you ever store left over egg salad in the fridge? Same thing.

My husband likes to eat boiled eggs every morning so I have tried many different ways to cook them and here is the best way we found:

Let the eggs sit on the counter for 3-5 days before cooking. We put them in a large pot and cover them with water but just enough to just cover the tops of the eggs. We bring the pot to a rolling boil and then let them sit covered for 18 minutes. After the 18 minutes we submerge them in an ice water bath for a few hours and then refrigerate. To peel them I always crack both ends and start at the end that had space in it since the inside doesn't always fill the entire shell and then I use the side of my thumb to peel off the rest.

A friend of mine who worked in catering told me his secret. Be sure to salt the water the eggs boil in. I haven't had a problem since.

Personally, I don't like the idea of using unfresh eggs. There is too much risk with even refridgerated eggs, people can not be 100% certain they are not going to poison themselves.

Peeling eggshells, surely, is no hard thing? Far better to put up with the inconvenience that is far less troublesome than peeling onions and crying.

Running a commercial eatery, there is no way I would risk using unfresh eggs. Especially when their cost is way low.

I was also having problems peeling hard boiled eggs after ages doing it kinda a la Julia Child's technique and the reasons why the eggs being sold today don't peel as well is the subject of a separate thread.
So went googling and found a video on youtube by Tim ferriss entitled "How to peel hard boiled eggs without peeling".
The video is worth seeing even if you don't follow everything, as the "real" secret IMO is that he puts in a little baking soda in when boiling the eggs, have now done it this way 4 times and it works like a charm.
Here's the link and please note, I'm using a different OS so it may not work for you, if not just google Tim Ferriss and how to peel hard boiled eggs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom