How to quantify a measurement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Because I have to scale the measurements for seasonings in recipes for 2 servings to 90+ on a number of occasions, I prefer to measure out the amount, weigh it, and then scale it either up or down.

We featured a recipe recently that used 2 Tbsp of curry powder, turmeric, and ground cumin (2 Tbsp of each). You'd think you could just mix 11.25 c of each to get the right amount of seasoning for 90 2-portion servings. However, because each of the spices, when measured, did not weighed the same, it had to be scaled using grams. For me, this was an issue when purchasing the spices and then for the person doing the mixing, the weight of each was important.

Last edited:
...For me, this was an issue when purchasing the spices and then for the person doing the mixing, the weight of each was important.

...or you could use a measuring spoon.

I'm in favor of using a scale because of the inherent accuracy of weight over volume but at some point a measuring spoon is more efficient and satisfactory.

+1. I hardly ever use my scale anymore

I use my scale when I'm baking bread (which is just about the only baking I do), because I've found that I get significantly better results if I measure by weight.

For any other kinds of dishes, volume measures are quite sufficient. In fact often, just estimating is all I need, since I'm a firm believer in using my taste buds to tell me when I've got what I want. :yum:

I prefer stainless steel measuring spoons. They hold up better in the garbage disposal. :rolleyes:

An set of spoons I buy must include a 1/2 Tablespoon measure.
I have a couple of those. I really prefer them to using two spoons to measure that 1/2 tblsp. I have five or six sets of measuring spoons. I don't want to have to wash and dry measuring spoons while I'm cooking. Some of those sets have 1/8 measure spoons.

I was taught that 1/8 of a tsp is the smallest amount you can measure with reasonable accuracy with a spoon and about half of that was a "pinch".

Last edited:
...I have five or six sets of measuring spoons. I don't want to have to wash and dry measuring spoons while I'm cooking...

Same here. I even have one set I got for Christmas that has spoons on both ends. One end is round and the other narrower and oblong to fit into spice jars. So that counts as two sets.

...or you could use a measuring spoon.

I'm in favor of using a scale because of the inherent accuracy of weight over volume but at some point a measuring spoon is more efficient and satisfactory.
I didn't really want to measure out 180 tablespoons x 3 of the three spices at the bulk store. I wanted to buy the spices by weight at the cash-and-carry.

Back
Top Bottom