"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-19-2016, 04:45 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How to serve tinned Foie Gras as a starter?

Hi All,

I am cooking dinner for some friends on Wednesday evening and have a tin of Foie Gras in my cupboard which I brought back from a trip to France last year.

I am keen to serve Foie Gras as a starter on the evening and wanted to ask, what is the best way to serve it?

I wanted to serve it with toast and some chutney and was specifically interested in the following points:

1 - How should I prepare the Foie Gras before serving? Should I remove it from the tin and chill it in the fridge?

2 - What is the best type of toast to serve it with, thinly sliced and toasted French Baguette? Or are there any crackers or other toasts that work better?

3 - What type of chutney/pickle will best complement Foie Gras?

Many thanks

Old 04-19-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogie View Post
Hi All,

I am cooking dinner for some friends on Wednesday evening and have a tin of Foie Gras in my cupboard which I brought back from a trip to France last year.

I am keen to serve Foie Gras as a starter on the evening and wanted to ask, what is the best way to serve it?

I wanted to serve it with toast and some chutney and was specifically interested in the following points:

1 - How should I prepare the Foie Gras before serving? Should I remove it from the tin and chill it in the fridge?

2 - What is the best type of toast to serve it with, thinly sliced and toasted French Baguette? Or are there any crackers or other toasts that work better?

3 - What type of chutney/pickle will best complement Foie Gras?

Many thanks
Is it a whole Foie Gras or has it been made into a paste or mousse?

Old 04-19-2016, 08:28 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

It has been made into a paste/mouse, so is ready to spread on bread etc
Old 04-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogie View Post
It has been made into a paste/mouse, so is ready to spread on bread etc
I'd serve it on thin, lightly toasted bread, maybe with some shaved and chopped up fresh, black truffle sprinkled on top.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I would serve at room temp with some chutney or maybe a fig jam. Sliced baguette would be great and toasted lightly would be even better.

You might consider something like this:

but changing up the offerings to include a slice of the mousse, a few slices of baguette, some fig jam, sliced plums or blackberries, a small spoonful of chutney, a small bundle of slivered cucumber, a sprinkle of fresh parsley and a small drizzle of balsamic around but not on these items.

Sauce it like this:
Old 04-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #6
Sous Chef

We make our own here along with confit de canard every winter after Christmas for the coming year with our french friends. I suggest opening the tin each end and pushing out onto a plate before chilling in the fridge. Gently scrape away any white fat residue if there is any. Slice it finely ( 1/4" is good) with a warm knife and serve with either fresh crusty bread or toast triangles is nice. Let the foie gras do the talking but by all means offer a fig or cherry conserve on the side if you wish. If you have some pink peppercorns or sea salt crystals, then a pinch of them crushed on top is lovely. It is very rich so this is a case of 'less is more' if serving as a first course.
Bon appetit!

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how to