How to start my culinary career..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I finally got my foot wet and spoke with a chef today. We spoke for an hour and he gave me a lot of good advice along with some things you guys have already shared.

So I finally got my foot wet and spoke with a chef today. We spoke for an hour and he gave me a lot of good advice along with some things you guys have already shared.

So how are you feeling about entering the cooking world now dc? Are you still keen? What is your next step?

So how are you feeling about entering the cooking world now dc? Are you still keen? What is your next step?

I still feel the same way, little uneasy, nervous but now a little less hesitant to introduce myself. My next step is to hit restaurants until someone will take me on as a prep cook.

I still feel the same way, little uneasy, nervous but now a little less hesitant to introduce myself. My next step is to hit restaurants until someone will take me on as a prep cook.

Well, you have broken the ice by having that chat with the chef. Good luck on your quest! Are there lots of restaurants where you live?

Well, you have broken the ice by having that chat with the chef. Good luck on your quest! Are there lots of restaurants where you live?

I'd say a decent amount. I live right outside of Philadelphia. But this chef told me the area and Philly in general is a crap place for restaurants.

So I got a shot this Sunday at "fork" in Philadelphia with chef Eli kulp. I applied on Craig's list for an ad "line/prep cook needed, willing to train highly motivated people. " bla bla bla

I guess I sold myself seeing as how I have no formal experience. So I'm going in 11am-5 For them to get to know me and test me in the kitchen.

So any tips or advice to prepare myself would be greatly appreciated

So I got a shot this Sunday at "fork" in Philadelphia with chef Eli kulp. I applied on Craig's list for an ad "line/prep cook needed, willing to train highly motivated people. " bla bla bla

I guess I sold myself seeing as how I have no formal experience. So I'm going in 11am-5 For them to get to know me and test me in the kitchen.

So any tips or advice to prepare myself would be greatly appreciated

Sounds to me like they are going to test to see how far you will sink. (Pun intended). How far can you be pushed? How well do you cope with being "pushed"?

Sounds to me like they are going to test to see how far you will sink. (Pun intended). How far can you be pushed? How well do you cope with being "pushed"?

I mean I'm gonna do everything in my power to get the job and do my best it's all I can do. I need to see if this is meant to be my future or if I should choose another career path.

I mean I'm gonna do everything in my power to get the job and do my best it's all I can do. I need to see if this is meant to be my future or if I should choose another career path.

Congrats! It's a start. Pay close attention, listen, watch techniques, do what you're told. Be polite, offer to take on extra shift work. Learn the recipes you're prepping. Be enthusiastic. Know your ingredients, make sure you have what you need. It will take awhile to get comfortable and know what you're supposed to do, that's natural.

Good luck! I've heard of Forks, sounds like a good place!

Last edited:
Pay attention to what you are told MUST be done for cleanliness, these are rules that are from the Health Department, if broken they can close a restaurant down. Listen and have fun. Good Luck!

Work hard! Follow instructions to the letter. Be on time (that means early). Never say "that's not my job." Learn to say the one phrase that's appropriate 90% of the time in the kitchen- "Yes, Chef!"

Do not be afraid to say, "I don't know, please show me." Remember they do not know what you do not know.

Do ALL of the above.

And keep focussed. What do you want to achieve?

(Actually, what DO you want to achieve? What is your ultimate goal?)

Do ALL of the above.

And keep focussed. What do you want to achieve?

(Actually, what DO you want to achieve? What is your ultimate goal?)

I want to most importantly 1. Decide if I should work in a kitchen.
2. Hone my skills and learn a lot in the next 6-10 months before I move to LA

Back
Top Bottom